Honda CB750 Sandcast

Unstamped sand cast replacement cases?

HoosierTom

• View Profile
About a year ago a fellow called me up and said he was an old Honda dealer from way back, but sold the dealership a while ago. He had some CB92 stuff I was interested in, but he made mention that he had a set of unstamped sand cast replacement cases. Has anyone seen or heard of this? It seems possible that Honda may have sent some to the parts department if ordered, but I personally have not seen any.

Tom

736cc

• View Profile
When the 1969 CB750's snapped the master links on their weak drivechains, the crankcases suffered catastrpophic damage from the balled-up pile of chain links. Dealers replaced the crankcases under warranty with a diecast set that had no numbers, and used the rest of the original sandcast engine guts for the rebuild. Corresponding oil pan and clutch cover were included, and a new endless chain was also peened on. At same time, the round oil filter, thin throttle cables (along w/ a notch cut out of frame by dealer for extra clearance), and a short chainguard were all replaced by dealer as per Honda. I've owned a motor w/o numbers in a sandcast frame, crankcase set was diecast.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I RECENTLY PURCHASED FRAME CB750-1000232 WHICH CAME WITH A SET OF SANDCAST CASES WITH NO NUMBERS ON THE VIN PAD. THE CASTING DATE FOR THE UPPER CASE IS 6/21 AND 6/20 FOR THE LOWER CASE. THE UPPER AND LOWER CASES ARE A MATCHED SET; THE BACK WALL OF BOTH CASES IS STAMPED "C198"

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Steve "Guest"

it was and still is HONDA's policy too send out unstamped cases ,but be careful they must be of a matching of pair or you will lose your main bearing oil pressure and junk your motor  unless the motor was damaged before the introduction of diecast ,then expect them to be unstamped diecast cases  it is also HONDA's policy too send out later parts that fit ,as most of you 100% honda restorers already know