Honda CB750 Sandcast

CB750K0 Knowledge needed

tomswift99

• View Profile
I have searched the web for info about the K0 I just bought... this website seems to have the best info and background on the early CB750 so I will ask my questions here...
Bike: CB750, VIN 1032xxx
Eng: SN 1031xxx

1. Does anyone know when the tank stripe was changed to black from original gold? I have seen many early models in photos with the gold stripe, but many K0s with the black stripe as well.

2. The bike I have has the "4-position" right switch control with "P" for park. This is noted as being for "other markets" in your production notes. Does this define this as a non-USA bike? Has anyone ever seen these switches at a USA dealer or on ebay?

3. I have seen some websites posting production of the CB750 (69-70) as 53,000+ and yet production numbers for the US stop at 44,000+. Is the difference the number of units not imported to the US?

4. Would the combination of the 4-position right switches and a set of original "mph" speedo/tach indicate this unit went to the UK or other english speaking country? The right and left switches are matching in "patina" so it would seem they are original... the speedo/tach also appear to match and are faded equally. Could this just be one of the "whoops, we ran out of needed parts so just use what is available" bikes?

Any help or info you can provide will be much appreciated

tomcourtney

• View Profile
Hi from Oz, The black tank stripe was used on the Gold Bikes and these were available after CB750-1019210 they also had black sidecover emblems as dis the police bikes.
The 4 position switch with the small ' p ' has a park light setting and i think may have been used in the UK. A friend has a K2 he bought in the UK or Germany with this switch..
CB750 production went to CB750-1044649 only in the USA then the USA got K1's after that number...
In other parts of the world, Australia UK and Japan and possably others we still got CB750 bikes but fitted with linkage carbs.. and these were refered to as K0's These bikes are RARE as they were sold at the same time as the USA K1's..
Saying it another way, Production after CB750-1044649 HONDA Japan made different bikes for different markets.. bikes going to the USA were K1's... Bikes Going to Australia were K0's with linkage carbs...., What i have noticed is early K1's and late CB750's for the US market were fitted with a compliance plate with date and VIN rivited to the Right hand side of the steering head.. Australian and UK bikes did not have compliance plates ( other than the sandcast bikes and early Diecast had a stick on alloy plate not stamped with VIN.., I dont know about the Jap bikes..
So if you took My K0 CB750-1045858 in the US it would have been a K1 but here in Oz its a CB750 with linkage carbs a true K0,
Production numbers of this type were low as most of the Honda production was sent to the States as K1's. I do not know how many of there were made but i would bet there were a lot less of these than sandcast...

Does anybody know when the Rivited stamped vin plate was introduced for the US market bikes?

So check if your bike has a rivited compliance tag with stamped VIN if not are there two holes for the rivits? if not its probably from somewhere other than the USA market?
Good luck Tom
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

736cc

• View Profile
The pre-production candy gold sandcast at Brighton had a WHITE tank stripe w/ gold sidecover badges. Sandcasts w/ candy gold bodywork are very rare. And very nice-looking.