Honda CB750 Sandcast

Advice on repairing original plastics?

hondanaut

• View Profile
Hi all,
I just discovered your great forum, clearly there's a lot of experience here. I hope you'll share some with me.

I just came into possession of a 750k0 early diecast with the original blue plastics -- but man are they beat up. The right side sidecover and the airbox especially have some major cracks, even a couple fractures.

I've written to a couple people about best repair options. I don't want to louse them up. Someone wrote me that the original plastic used was styrene, and recommended JB Weld. Others on the SOHC/4 list have recommended car bumper-repair material, superglue and baking soda, etc.

What do you recommend, or who should I send them to for a quality job?

Thanks much,
Scott

chrisnoel

• View Profile
the two part plastic weld with resin and hardner works very well on the white plastic that these parts are made of. Wont hold that black stuff for anything but it bonds like new to our plastic body parts.

The two part plastic weld resin I was refering to is perma-poxy made by permatex. It bonds to the orignal plastic extreemly well, its sandable, and the joint is stronger than the plastic itself. As long as the plastic isn't aged and brittle you should be abble to restore anything you want.

I just repaired a cover with a chunk and tab missing off of the bottom by cutting a piece off of another cover.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
My experience, the only plastiic repair material prodcut to use is LORD Fusor plastic repair products, visit http://www.lord.com/tabid/3398/Default.aspx

Another option would be to purchase exact pattern repro parts form David Silver Spares, visit http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

hondanaut

• View Profile
Thanks, Steve, I've checked out the Fusor site. There are various options. The ones that seem useful for my purpose are:
- Extreme Bumper Repair Adhesive (Super Fast 142, or Fast 152)
- Plastic Bonding Repair Adhesive (Super Fast 141)

Which have you had experience with, or which do you recommend?

Thanks,
Scott

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I use Fusor 143. I use the Fusor mesh on on large or complex cracks. It's best to have the work set up in advance, because the 143 hardnes in 2-3 minutes and is to be worked.