Honda CB750 Sandcast

Reproduction early tach and speedo cables

markb · 40 · 9574

markb

• View Profile
After looking for a while, I finally located my early cables with the short nuts.  (Another story, I've got too much stuff in too many different places.  Not enough room in any one place so I got a storage locker where I'm consolidating everything except what I'm working on at the shop). 

Anyway, does anyone know if there are differences between early and late cables besides the length of the knurled nuts?  With a quick look that's all that I saw.  Here's what I'm thinking.  There is at least one company that makes up cables.  If I could supply them with correct nuts it seems like it wouldn't be a problem to get a batch made (or if they had a drawing maybe they could do it all).  According to the distinctions list they were used up to VIN 2157 so I think there would be a pretty good demand.  When I get a chance I'm going to look at them more closely.

I probably could use the set I have on #97, they're just OK, but I've got a couple other VINs under 2157 so I could use a couple of sets.  Who would be interested in a set?  Unless there are other major difference this shouldn't be nearly as big a project as the mirror stems.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

kmb69

• View Profile

markb

• View Profile
Here’s some pics of early and late speedo cable ends.  The wheel drive ends look pretty much identical. 

Here’s the gauge end.  Obviously quite different.

At first I thought we could maybe make short nuts out of standard nuts.  It’s hard to see in the pic but the short nut has a slight taper to it.  Notice the early cable seems to have black tubing over the metal end.  It this typical?  Is it maybe a repair?

Also note the small hole in the metal end between the tubing and the nut.  Is that normal?  Is it a lubrication hole?

I need to locate one of my later tach cables so I can compare them too. Does anyone have pics of either they can post?
Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark
Here is the tach cable from 576. I'm afraid my speedo cable is a replacement.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:04:01 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The "short nut" speedo/tach cables that came on 232 & 2157; neither had the plastic tubing on the nut end; all have the hole.  Not to say they may have had the plastic tubing at some time, but none do.  I wondered what the hole is for as well; for lubricating is as good a hunch as any.  That taper is another priceless little detail...

markb

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Wayne: It looks like the drive (engine) end of the tach cable is the same shape as mine but my drive ends appear to be black and yours appears to be zinc plated.  Does your tach cable have the hole on the other end?

Steve: Do all four of your cables have the hole?  What color are your drive ends? 

Does anyone have a cable that has the plastic sleeve?  If no one else has it I might suspect that it was a repair.  Also does anyone have just a nut that came off a damaged cable?  I'm reluctant to take a cable apart to be able to accurately measure the internal dimensions of the nut as both of my early cables are probably useable.
Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wayne: It looks like the drive (engine) end of the tach cable is the same shape as mine but my drive ends appear to be black and yours appears to be zinc plated.  Does your tach cable have the hole on the other end?

Mark. Mine has some black still on the drive end of the cable. I thought at first it was sprayed when someone did some painting. No hole on the other end.
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I checked my tach cables (early and late) and they are all zinc plated on the drive end and they all have holes on the gauge end.  All of my speedo cables are black on the drive end and have holes on the gauge end.  The hole on the late one pictured above is covered by the nut.
Mark B

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Mark, i'll check my 4 cables.   I know all 4 are zinc plated and am certain all 4 have holes in them.  (I remember asking myself, "What would be the reason for that hole?")

markb

• View Profile
Has anyone ever dealt with Motion Pro?  I am talking to them about making cables if I supply the nuts.  They want to see my cables before they make a committment so I will probably send them.  Just wondered if anyone had any issures with them.

I looked closer at my speedometer cables and the black drive end is a hard plastic.  Dimensionally it looks very close to the zinc-plated steel ends on the tachometer cables.  It puzzles me as to why they would be different.  Does anyone have speedometer cables with steel drive ends or tachometer cables with plastic ends?
Mark B

kmb69

• View Profile
Would guess metal on engine and plastic on speedo has to do with the difference in temperature at the engine versus the speedo drive.

I have not seen any plastic on the tach drives.