Honda CB750 Sandcast

1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration

UK Pete · 135 · 64439

UK Pete

• View Profile
Yes you are right December 1969 , I stripped down the top end all seems good inside, it is always a gamble  buying a 44 year old engine unseen but my gamble paid off
Pete

UK Pete

• View Profile
]I have suddenly got the urge to resume my restoration so here goes, seeing as i have gathered all the front suspension parts i thought i would put them all together, as luck has it the bushing and piston were all within spec very little wear which is handy as you can't get the parts any more
its a great feeling when you have restored 44 year old parts , i just sat back and looked at it and thought 44 years ago someone in Japan was doing the same and assembling these very parts.

my trusty assistant inspects the parts for quality

DW69K0

• View Profile
They look awesome Pete!
What's is the next step in your project?

Best,
Duane

UK Pete

• View Profile
Thanks Duane, my next move is to build up the wheels, i have most of the parts , the only thing i need is a front rim, my original is quite good but not worthy of this restoration unless i get it rechromed , over here in the UK chroming prices are extortionate, and very hard to get a decent job especially on wheels for some reason,  i do have a NOS Honda front rim but it is the DID with the writing on the side, and that is not correct for the bike, while i am doing the wheels i need to find a decent welder to repair fin damage to my head then i can complete the engine rebuild, then all of a sudden things will come together alot faster (i hope)
pete

DW69K0

• View Profile
Pete,
I need to have two places repaired on the top outside corner fins on my head, with one fin chipped partly off, I am looking for a source to make that happen before I assemble my current project's engine.
Are you having the fins built-up and ground down on your project?
Best,
Duane

UK Pete

• View Profile
Hi Duane, i showed my head to a friend who used to weld for a living, he said the top fin had alot missing to build up and he would if doing the job cut a piece to shape and weld that in, on the second and third fin which had alot less damage he would build up with weld and reshape with a file
he no longer has access to a tig welder so i am now searching for someone to do the job
pete

DW69K0

• View Profile
I was thinking the same thing, which is to cut an old fin replacement to shape and weld the top fin in place becuase of the access to the area.
Thanks for sharing.
Duane

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Duane, i showed my head to a friend who used to weld for a living, he said the top fin had alot missing to build up and he would if doing the job cut a piece to shape and weld that in, on the second and third fin which had alot less damage he would build up with weld and reshape with a file
he no longer has access to a tig welder so i am now searching for someone to do the job
pete

Have a look at KP's comment in my thread here:
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=335.45
[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile
Thanks for that Wayne, i shall bring this up with the welder when i eventually find one
pete

UK Pete

• View Profile
Nice sunny weekend here in the UK, perfect day to strip and clean my carbs, took me two days but well worth the hard work, i spent about 3hrs on each carb cleaning with small tooth brushes, everthing has come up real well including all the zinc plated parts, i have loosely assembled them without the internals fitted as i will probably do some fine detailing work to them, probably strip and put a new zinc plating on some parts , the throttle stops have some corrosion so they will definetely be re-plated
Can anyone tell me the original finish to the float bowls, it appears to me they were polished and laquered, is that correct?, i have lightly polished them for now

pete

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Always nice to see parts brought back to life. Nice job
Yabba Dabba KP

kettle738

• View Profile

Hi Pete, nice job.......what's the milky looking substance in the bowl?

Mick.........kettle738

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello Pete,  

Two days of galley of cleaning certainly, but after what a pleasure to see the result!!
Very good job. ;)

Gerard
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:21:19 am by 4pots1969 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
Thanks for the compliments guys,
mick the milky looking substance is a strong mix of washing powder and water, after that treatment i soaked in thinners followed by a further scrub with the toothbrush, then a final wash off and blow through with airline
pete

toycollector10

• View Profile
Nice work, I'm getting a lot of pointers for my own diecast restoration. Coming soon.