Honda CB750 Sandcast

Paint that matches zinc plating - for early rubber oil lines

markb · 14 · 4609

markb

• View Profile
I have some early sandcast oil lines (rubber hoses) that are usable but the metal ferrules are a little rusty and need some restoring.  I’m thinking the easiest solution would be to soda blast the aluminum fittings and steel ferrules and then mask and paint the ferrules.  Any recommendations on paint that will look like zinc plating?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:48:31 pm by markb »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

vnz00

• View Profile
hi mark,
i remember in my travels coming across a spray pack which replicates CAD plating.  The brand is well known, but I cant for the life of me remember the brand.  If you ebay search it it will come up, which will give you the brand.  Im sure they have zinc.  From Eastwood I believe - the brand a lot of the US restorers use for engine colors/clear coats.  Heres a link to the CAD Product which may be very similar to the Zinc.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-silver-cad-aerosol-12-oz.html

Alternatively, in the past I have put rubber brake hoses in for plating.  the acids used to clean the steel ~should~ not effect the rubber.  However I suggest talking to your plater about this.  The main concern would be the aluminum fittings, however they may be able to beadblast, rather than use an acid.  The plater I just sent some stuff off to beadblasts, and I did think of sending the oil lines in, but held off until I saw his work (first time I have used him).

Let us know if it works out ;)
Steven

markb

• View Profile
I posted the same question on SOHC4 and got the same answer.  I don't know why I didn't think of Eastwoods.  Here's the link for the zinc.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-clear-zinc-aerosol-12-oz.html
But I like the idea of trying to plate it.  Obviously the zinc won't stick to the rubber.  I don't know what it does to the aluminum.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I found this Mark:

Q: Can you give me a good procedure for plating zinc on aluminum?

A: Aluminum is an easy material to plate if you properly prepare the substrate. It is most important to remember that aluminum cannot be handled in the same manner as steel substrates. Aluminum can be zinc plated by first using a zincate process followed by either a cyanide or acid zinc plating solution. You cannot plate directly on aluminum-based materials.
[size=

kmb69

• View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I must be mis-reading something here.  Are we talking about zinc plating aluminum castings ?  These castings are natural finish.  The ferrules/nuts appear zinc plated.  

Before i attempted having ferrules/nuts plated intact w/ rest of line, i'd talk to at least 2 different platers who specialize in plating ferrous and non-ferrous metals.  Would be a very long gut sick feeling if lines were ruined.  Especially so when an aerosol coating product may look same as/good as zinc plate.  If the aluminum castings were ruined, would be very difficult to replicate exactly as original.

Before i would risk an irreparable change to the alum.casting, I'd have to be thoroughly convinced the electrolytic plating sol'n would not have some impact on the original appearance of casting surface.

Myself, i'd say don't attempt plating.  I tend to err on conservative side in such complex resto considerations.  But, then, i did not ask an expert opinion on ferrous/non-ferrous zinc plating considerations.  No guts, no glory.

Here is a picture of 232's lines under Tech/Resto Support:  http://www.cb750sandcastonly.com/support09.htm

Bickle

I think Mark is under the impression that the end banjos are aluminum.....I think that they are steel. I know that Allan Landry told me that he has had these plated with no ill affects.

Steve

markb

• View Profile
I am under the impression the ends are aluminum.  I'll try to dig mine out this weekend and put a magnet on them.
Mark
Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Checked a line from 576....see pic :)

[size=

markb

• View Profile
Thanks Wayne.
Good advice Steve about being cautious.

Here's an interesting thread from the SOHC4 site about zinc plating.  You have to get into it a ways to get to the DIY stuff but there may be some possiblitites here.  Apparently the plating solution is sugar, vinegar and epsom salt.  That alone doesn't seem like it would hurt the rubber.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111604.0
Mark B

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
In the event i needed to plate a complex part such as an oil line, i would look at doing the plating myself, so i could have control over the process.  In past decades, i seriously looked into home plating process/ingredients/kits.  As i recall, zinc plating is a straight forward process.  There are kits available to buy or at least there used to be.  Maybe the environmentalists have killed that fun.  Just need to know equipment, ingredients and process.  The only thing that could be a bugaboo would be the issue of having to have the aluminum parts with the steel parts in the electrolytic solution.  Have read one can make a simple enough fixture to hold the portion of a part one whats to plate in the electorlytic solution.  If i were to attempt plating oil line ferrous parts, i would research process, build the setup, and use a "non-sandcast" oil line as the guinea pig for testing the plating process to see if it actually works or until i got the process right.