Honda CB750 Sandcast

Numbered Carburetors & Mounting Brackets

greggo325

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I have three sets of 4-cable carburetors, and one of the sets (confirmed to be from a sandcast)  has the cylinder numbers cast into both the carburetor bodies, and the mounting bracket.  My question is: Was this standard up to a certain VIN?  I searched here but didn't find anything.  Not looking to sell, just looking for information.

greggo325

• View Profile
Nobody has seen these markings on the carb bodies and bracket? 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven't and I'm no expert but I'll take a stab at an explanation.

If you look at the stamps themselves they are the same on both components. Even the strike force (depth) is similar. That tells me the same person did all of them. What that also suggests to me is perhaps at one time, someone took the assembly apart and figured to be safe they had better mark the carb's and stay plate so as to get everything back in the right spot. Just a wild guess on my part.
[size=

greggo325

• View Profile
I haven't and I'm no expert but I'll take a stab at an explanation.

If you look at the stamps themselves they are the same on both components. Even the strike force (depth) is similar. That tells me the same person did all of them. What that also suggests to me is perhaps at one time, someone took the assembly apart and figured to be safe they had better mark the carb's and stay plate so as to get everything back in the right spot. Just a wild guess on my part.

Thanks for your input Wayne.  I'm asking the previous owner of the set if it was his sandcast they came from, and if he remembers marking them at any point. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem. I'm sure you will get more input from other members. You sometimes need to be a bit patient on this site. We don't have a lot of members like the SOHC4 site so responses can tend to be a bit slow. The guys we do have are top notch and will help you if they can.
[size=

cb7504

• View Profile
gregg0325: I looked at all of my four cabled carburetor sets (24) NOT ONE SET had numbers stamped on them as yours does. I would be inclined to say Wayne's explanation for the numbers being there would be logical. Marty K.     

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I've not seen number such as this.  I would agree with Wayne's observation, likely done after leaving the factory....  The font does not look like a Honda font.......... ?

greggo325

• View Profile
Thank you gentlemen!  I'm happy to hear they're not too special to use ;D

greggo325

• View Profile
I'd like to add one bit of info after hearing back from my friend Bill, who bought them from another racer years ago...These came off a fully built race bike that blew an aluminum rod out of a sandcast case.  That seems to mesh with the 'taken apart 'n marked' theory.

Thanks again!