Honda CB750 Sandcast

Third type of alternator cover

ken736cc

• View Profile
My sandcast F 0366, E 0499 had a different  type of alternator cover. Both of my early die cast motors have the same cover. It is not as thin as the thin lip and not as fat as the fat lip. Pictures attached.
Discuss:

I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hmm.  Interesting.  

My two cents worth....

The first type, thin lip cover, i believe, we've identified being on E-vins up to 2134.  The boss and the lip is thin all the way around the outer periphery of the cover.  

The lip seen on your bead blasted cover is the cover which, in my experience, followed the thin lip cover.  4363 has this type cover, which i've always thought of as the "fat lip" cover, the boss is "fat" as well as the lip on the lower outer periphery.  (Thin lip above the "fat" boss.)

The 3rd type, which you refer to as a "fat lip" cover, has two "fat" bosses.  My memory seems to tell me that type of cover i've seen on bikes such as the K4-K6... ?  (It's been a long time since i've been up close to a later 750.)   To the best of my knowledge, this "double boss" cover was not fitted to any sandcast from the factory....  Or, "K0"..... ?

At least, that's my opinion...  Someone more familiar with all models CB750 could clarify.

ps - For what it's worth, the parts books from 4.69 through the K4 book of Jan.74, the part number for these covers is the same; 11631-300-040.  Beginning Feb.71, the book lists two gaskets; 11397-300-030 for vins 1-31370, beginning vin 31371 the K1 book lists pn 11397-300-303.  The K2 book lists the 030 gasket as being superceded by the 303 gasket.  The K4 book lists only the 303 gasket.

ken736cc

• View Profile
It looks as if the very early thin lip cover is correct for my bike. I owned this sandcast for over 30 years. This is the cover that was on it when I got it. These covers were always damaged when the bike fell over. It must have been changed before it came into my possession. I have a local machinist who may be able to convert a "medium" lip cover into a thin lip imposter.
I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would agree with Steve's ordering of the three cover types so far mentioned. There are actually two more that I am aware of, these being similar to "type 3" above, but with a slight recess for the screw heads to sit in, and the same but black finished for the F2 / F3 variants. Only two types as described by Steve fitted to sandcast and "K0" bikes though. Knowing Honda, there could well be more of course!

Cheers
Chris R.
302/338