Honda CB750 Sandcast

Original or not Original Equipment

johnny · 5 · 2242

johnny

• View Profile
This bike I mentioned in the above post came with red lens in the rear blinkers. The "original" bikes I see on pictures and ads here have the amber? Which is original, red or amber on a CB750 with a 1/70 date on the steering stem tag?
Same thing with the chain guard. Mine came with a black plastic chain guard surrounding the entire chain. The ones I see on this board and others do not have the lower chain guard. "Original" equipment or not?
Thanks for your expertise
John
WI

chrisnoel

• View Profile
The chain guard is absolutely wrong and the lenses are most likely as well. Check the lettering in the lenses to see if they are pre or post DOT lenses. The pre DOT's have no lettering in the center. Only around the outer edge. Post DOT lenses are a sure late lense give away.

johnny

• View Profile
I checked that red rear lense and all it says is "made in Japan." No numbers, no DOT, only "made in Japan." These red lenses act as tailights as they are on when driving and the double fillament give me both the tailight and blinkers.

Regarding the full chain guard, an old dealer told me these KO's came with automatic chain oilers. (That is talked about in my owners manaul too.) They would throw so much oil they started making the full guard for it. He said owners would use a screw to plug the oiler. Again, this is what the old Honda dealer guy told me.

elisent

• View Profile
Rear Red lenses were mandatory for certain states in 69. Honda played catch up by shipping red lenses later than the earliest 750s. Dealers would actually paint ambers red to comply on some of the first turn signal required bikes. You will see red on alot of early HDs. They soon were banned to amber in almost most if not all states. As Chris said, no DOT= a cool historical part. Not rare but not common. Eli

elisent

• View Profile
If the lenses are only made in Japan and act as tail lights they are probably later after market. All lenses I know of on late 60s Asian bikes were made by Stanley and marked as such.