Honda CB750 Sandcast

Greetings, Introduction, Sandcast

flyinelvis

• View Profile
I bought my first motorcycle in 1979, a 1977 (if I remember correctly) CB550.

I was really (peripherally) into what was known then as the burgeoning café scene, even though many in and around my North Carolina home had no idea what that was.  In retrospect, maybe I didn’t, either.

But still I had a desire to create something of my own, something no one else had, so I dug in with limited funds, and built this:

Times being what they were, it was 1984 before I knew it, I was married and had my first child on the way.  My “café’d” creation was sold to a friend for $500 and a bowling ball.  Love to have that bike, back…

I eventually drifted into mountain biking and road cycling, but never lost that feeling of freedom that only a motorcycle can give.  By now I was in my middle 50’s and the clock was ticking.  Inspired by my job in the race industry, I started scanning forums such as SOHC4, CX500 Forum, Pipeburn, BikeEFX, etc., until I came upon this:

Looking it over, I said “hell, I can do that”, so 10 months after initial purchase, I had built this 1980 CX 500:

I realize I copied someone else’s idea.  But the fact of the matter was, I had built something.

Now I’m on to my second build, another CX500 (1979) that I am going to make much less bobber, much more café.

Which of which brings me to the topic of discussion.

I have always wanted a CB750.  My brother’s father in law (follow that?) used to tell stories about his 750, getting pulled by the local sheriff for riding all three of his kids home from school on it when his car wouldn’t start.  The last time I bumped into him, I asked if he still had it.  He did, sitting since 1987 in the basement of his Muffler Shop in the foothills of NC.  I visited him this past Saturday, paid what I though was a fair price for this filthy monstrosity, trailered it home and got out the simple green and hosed it down.

Where to start?  Well, I knew there were valuable 1969 CB750’s out there, but I never dreamed this would be one of them.  I looked up the serial number: CB750E-1003709.  Sure enough, she’s a sandcast.  Frame # CB750-1004014.  The tank (no major dents, some pinhole corrosion in the paint and of course on the inside) is a “wrinkle” tank, with the carb dimples.  Wow.

So herein lays my dilemma.

I can build what I think is a decent little custom, garage built ride.  But definitely NOT from this collector’s item.  I have some limited fabrication skills, but nothing that would allow me to restore this bike to what it should be.  I need to find it a good home and at the same time I need to establish fair market value and hopefully get it into the hands of a restoration expert, investing any profits into my next build.

So that’s my story.  I would really value any opinions from this board.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-tom aka flyinelvis
flyinelvis@me.com

1941wld

• View Profile
Wrong front fender,
Wrong exhaust pipes.
Very bad head gasket oil leak.
Very bad oxidation/rust.
Need more pictures.
How many miles?
Does the engine turn over?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Tom
Great story and great find. Good to see you have the interest to preserve this bike as it would be a shame to see one so complete modified or broken up.
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

flyinelvis

• View Profile
Thanks for all the interest this model has generated through email contact.  My plan is to document the bike on Friday (2/22) and post the images to this forum.  I don't what to mis-represent what this bike is or isn't to interested parties.

To answer a few general questions, the bike has ~16.5K on the clock and the engine spins free.  The original tool kit is present, but no owners manual or key at this time.  PO is still hoping to locate the key.

In reference to the negative comments posted by 1941wld, I never suggested this was a pristine example of a sandcast CB750.  It is truly a barn (OK, muffler shop) find and best I could tell through the license plate, the last time it was ridden was 1987.

Thanks again for all the interest, I'll be back on Friday with photos...

-tom
flyinelvis@me.com

flyinelvis

• View Profile
And, oh yeah, I have the notarized title in my name.  I haven't processed it through the state of NC as of yet...

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
In reference to the negative comments posted by 1941wld, I never suggested this was a pristine example of a sandcast CB750.

That's Conrad's (wld41) way of telling a new person he's happy you found the bike, appreciates what a sandcast is and hopes you'll get a fair price from the sale.

Tis a genuine barn find.  Must of been a thrill realizing what you found.  Probably w/ a little fiddling, the engine would run.  

cb7504

• View Profile
Tom nice snag on finding the sandcast. It is always good to find these kind of diamonds in the rough. Major plus's are engine turns over, correct fuel tank, covers etc;  engine and frame are a good VIN match. The bike will need a lot TLC (DETAILING). Marty K. 

markb

• View Profile
Appears to be a long choke lever........  ???
Your eyes are way better than mine then.  :o
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

flyinelvis

• View Profile
I'm overwhelmed by the response to my post.  I'll be getting in touch with each of you, now that the photos are available.  I think it's best that before any discussions move forward, interested parties have the opportunity to get a better feel for my offering.

As promised, I have documented the bike and the images can be viewed, here:

http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/user/flyinelvis/library/1969%20Sandcast%20Honda%20CB750%20Four?

I will be leaving town on Saturday morning (2/23) for several days.  I will have limited access to email, but will do my best to answer any questions as quickly as I can.

Again, many thanks for the interest.

-tom
flyinelvis@me.com

1941wld

• View Profile
So, I've looked at the pictures. It is in sad condition.
What do you guys think the bike is worth? I'm sure several of us are making Tom offers on this bike. It's like a silent auction here on the site. I know I've made him an offer and I guess if it is the highest he will get back to me. It looks like a complete restoration is required. It would make a good parts donor or you could spend a small fortune in a restoration. If you are going to spend  the money to restore, seems like one would spent that money on a lower serial number bike, but I guess every sandcast is a keeper. What do you think?

1941wld

• View Profile
Just got an email from Tom.
THE BIKE HAS SOLD.
So, I guess my offer was not the "WINNING BID". Too bad he did not let me make a counter offer.
I'm a little relieved, because I'd be spending more of my life working on a bike rather than riding a bike. I'm get closer to the 60 mark and I want to be seeing the country from the seat of my bike. Not looking at it on the internet while I'm buying more parts to put the bike back together.
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:57:43 am by 1941wld »

Prospect

• View Profile
So, I've looked at the pictures. It is in sad condition.
What do you guys think the bike is worth? I'm sure several of us are making Tom offers on this bike. It's like a silent auction here on the site. I know I've made him an offer and I guess if it is the highest he will get back to me. It looks like a complete restoration is required. It would make a good parts donor or you could spend a small fortune in a restoration. If you are going to spend  the money to restore, seems like one would spent that money on a lower serial number bike, but I guess every sandcast is a keeper. What do you think?

It really depends on how much the bike went for. I estimate that bike would probably cost around $8000 or more to restore if you can find the correct parts.  I too thought the same thing as you and thought that I'd rather hold out for a lower number bike.  It's just a personal preference and I rather pay a premium for the bike I really want and I'm prepared to wait. 
Vin 256/106