Honda CB750 Sandcast

Frame 4286 w/K1 Motor

greggo325

• View Profile
I found one.  It's a mid-number sandcast, and it's been off the road 15 years.  Unfortunately it has a K1 motor :-\ so I'm on the hunt for a 4xxx sandcast motor, or cases.  It's a running bike, and I paid a fair price for it.

I have a great set of 4-cable carbs, a gold/black stripe tank, and a set of HM300's off my K6.  I'll probably use the Corbin until I find a nice ducktail seat.

(The K6)

Is there a place for project threads on this forum?

Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:52:35 pm by greggo325 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Welcome !

Contact Wayne, our Discussion Board Manager, he can make a project thread for you in the Discussion Board category, "Beginning to End - Member Restorations."

Any chance you will share your frame number so we can add it to the "VIN Directory" ?

greggo325

• View Profile
Welcome !

Contact Wayne, our Discussion Board Manager, he can make a project thread for you in the Discussion Board category, "Beginning to End - Member Restorations."

Any chance you will share your frame number so we can add it to the "VIN Directory" ?

Thanks Steve!  It is #4286.  As you can see, the motor and most of the original parts are long gone.

My list of parts to find so far:

K0 side covers...probably buy them from FrankenStuff over on SOHC4.net
K0 air box...might grind down the ridges on a later one
New 18" rear hoop, spokes to re lace what's hopefully the original two-hole hub
4xxx Sandcast motor or cases
Ducktail seat...Yamiya is damn expensive, but looks the most original
Fork ears
Wrinkle tank...only if I find a decent one for $300 or less - I've seen it happen

It has:
One smooth oil hose
Black kill switch
Unpainted caliper
Small taillight, and I think the original rear fender
K1 gauges...I'll rebuild them into sandcast style with parts from Lecram
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:54:46 am by greggo325 »

greggo325

• View Profile
Here are the carbs I'll be using.  We discussed them here before ;) They are known to be from a sandcast.

cb7504

• View Profile
There is a frame vin #1004286 with motor #1004491 already listed in the registry, double check the numbers to insure they are correct. Is it possible you bought the bike from an owner who previously registered the vin on this web site. The bike looks to be mostly a CB705 K1 put onto a sand cast frame. Good luck and enjoy the restoration.  Marty K.

greggo325

• View Profile
There is a frame vin #1004286 with motor #1004491 already listed in the registry, double check the numbers to insure they are correct. Is it possible you bought the bike from an owner who previously registered the vin on this web site. The bike looks to be mostly a CB705 K1 put onto a sand cast frame. Good luck and enjoy the restoration.  Marty K.

I do see that, and the bike has been off the road since '98 according to the tags.  I wouldn't be surprised if the owner previous to the guy I bought it from had harvested many of the good parts for another bike.  I guess I'll find out once the paperwork goes through the DMV.  The frame stamp looks original to me.  Is there any contact info for that owner?

Here's my stamp, there is no tag on the other side of the neck.

cb7504

• View Profile
I did not find any contact information on the owner who is listed in the registry. Marty K.

greggo325

• View Profile
i think there's 2 wrinkles on ebay now.

I have seen those.  One looks to be in horrible shape, and the other one the seller wanted $700.  I'll use the gold body work from the other bike pictured until I've collected all the parts, and I'm ready for a tear down/rebuild.  It seems patience is a virtue when seeking out all these parts, so I'm in luck there.  I also have several other bikes and projects to keep me entertained.  I have a '65 CA95 Benly, a '71 CB500 Four, and a few others in various stages, including that K6, which will get some different body work, and carry on for some more fun.

How old might the entries be in that registry?
  The last tag is '98, so maybe someone had a complete sandy needing whatever, and used a crashed K1 to finish this one back to salable condition.  I ran all the numbers through the free databases, and they came back clean, so I'm not really worried about it being stolen.  I think the VIN stamp looks legitimate as well.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
It's a very rare un-sandcast  or a not so rare diecast 

;) or you have an even rarer sandcast bike with a unsandcast engine how random is that, now we are talking "hens teeth" and "rocking horse manure" ::) only haveing a giraffe ;D

greggo325

• View Profile
It's a very rare un-sandcast  or a not so rare diecast 

;) or you have an even rarer sandcast bike with a unsandcast engine how random is that, now we are talking "hens teeth" and "rocking horse manure" ::) only haveing a giraffe ;D

Rocking horse manure, now that is some rare sh1t ;D ;D

CBman

• View Profile
As cb7504 said, this bike seems to be K1 bike with Sandy frame, because front fender, front forks, ignition switch and seat lock is K1 as well. Especially K1 seat lock on Sandy frame is very strange.

greggo325

• View Profile
As cb7504 said, this bike seems to be K1 bike with Sandy frame, because front fender, front forks, ignition switch and seat lock is K1 as well. Especially K1 seat lock on Sandy frame is very strange.

Yes, mostly K1 parts on this bike.

I was able to gather some history...The gentleman I purchased 4286 from bought it six months ago from a wrecker/towing guy, who had had it sitting since 1998...the last time it was registered.  Seems that at some point the engine, gauges, front end, and many other parts were harvested, likely to save another sandy.  So far, nobody seems to think my VIN has been altered, so I think it just means I have more parts to find.