Honda CB750 Sandcast

Project CB750-1004286

greggo325 · 52 · 38213

greggo325

• View Profile
I found one!  It's a mid-number sandcast, and it's been off the road 15 years.  Unfortunately it has a K1 motor :-\ so I'm on the hunt for a 4xxx sandcast motor, or cases.  It's a running bike, and I paid a fair price for it.

I have a great set of 4-cable carbs, a gold/black stripe tank, and a set of stamped HM300's that are on my K6.

I also have a thread over on the SOHC4.net forum: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=118569.0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:16:45 pm by greggo325 »

greggo325

• View Profile
Welcome !

Contact Wayne, our Discussion Board Manager, he can make a project thread for you in the Discussion Board category, "Beginning to End - Member Restorations."

Any chance you will share your frame number so we can add it to the "VIN Directory" ?

Thanks Steve!  It is #4286.  As you can see, the motor and most of the original parts are long gone.

My list of parts to find so far:

K0 side covers...probably buy them from FrankenStuff over on SOHC4.net Bought.
K0 air box...might grind down the ridges on a later one
New 18" rear hoop, spokes to re lace what's hopefully the original two-hole hub
4xxx Sandcast motor or cases
Ducktail seat...Yamiya is damn expensive, but looks the most original
Fork ears
Wrinkle tank...only if I find a decent one for $300 or less - I've seen it happen

It has:
One smooth oil hose
Black kill switch
Unpainted caliper
Small taillight, and I think the original rear fender
K1 gauges...I'll rebuild them into sandcast style with parts from Lecram

Here are the carbs I'll be using.  We discussed them here before ;) They are known to be from a sandcast, and check out the difference in choke handles from another 4-cable set..a little fatter and rounder.

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10005/normal_23.jpg

There is a frame vin #1004286 with motor #1004491 already listed in the registry, double check the numbers to insure they are correct. Is it possible you bought the bike from an owner who previously registered the vin on this web site. The bike looks to be mostly a CB705 K1 put onto a sand cast frame. Good luck and enjoy the restoration.  Marty K.

I do see that, and the bike has been off the road since '98 according to the tags.  I wouldn't be surprised if the owner previous to the guy I bought it from had harvested many of the good parts for another bike.  I guess I'll find out once the paperwork goes through the DMV.  The frame stamp looks original to me.  Is there any contact info for that owner?

Here's my stamp, there is no tag on the other side of the neck.

i think there's 2 wrinkles on ebay now.

I have seen those.  One looks to be in horrible shape, and the other one the seller wanted $700.  I'll use the gold body work from the other bike pictured until I've collected all the parts, and I'm ready for a tear down/rebuild.  It seems patience is a virtue when seeking out all these parts, so I'm in luck there.  I also have several other bikes and projects to keep me entertained.  I have a '65 CA95 Benly, a '71 CB500 Four, and a few others in various stages, including that K6, which will get some different body work, and carry on for some more fun.

How old might the entries be in that registry?
 The last tag is '98, so maybe someone had a complete sandy needing whatever, and used a crashed K1 to finish this one back to salable condition.  I ran all the numbers through the free databases, and they came back clean, so I'm not really worried about it being stolen.  I think the VIN stamp looks legitimate as well.

As cb7504 said, this bike seems to be K1 bike with Sandy frame, because front fender, front forks, ignition switch and seat lock is K1 as well. Especially K1 seat lock on Sandy frame is very strange.

Yes, mostly K1 parts on this bike.

I was able to gather some history...The gentleman I purchased 4286 from bought it six months ago from a wrecker/towing guy, who had had it sitting since 1998...the last time it was registered.  Seems that at some point the engine, gauges, front end, and many other parts were harvested, likely to save another sandy.  So far, nobody seems to think my VIN has been altered, so I think it just means I have more parts to find.  

Okay, picking it up Saturday, but I walked down to the shop it's at (PO was having work done) and snapped a few more pics to see what I'm getting. No cut fender, a three hole rear fender, the wrong starter/kill switch, wrong oil tank,  but the frame is solid, and I think it has the correct headlight bucket...and that's a short list of what I noticed today.  I did find #8 bolts all over the place, so that made me a little happy ;D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:14:42 pm by greggo325 »

greggo325

• View Profile
My dad and I picked up the bike this afternoon, and I got a great surprise when we arrived: the original wrinkle tank ;D  It's pretty trashed inside, but we will have it repaired by a skilled bodyshop man my dad has known for 30 years.  He worked some unbelievable magic on a CA95 tank that we had all but given up on.  

Are those the correct fork lowers?

cb7504

• View Profile
greggo325 the front fork lowers are for the CB750 K1. Marty K.

greggo325

• View Profile
greggo325 the front fork lowers are for the CB750 K1. Marty K.

I can't tell the difference after examining some available photos.  Could you let me know how to tell them apart?

Thank you

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Where the rubber dust cover meets the fork tube the K1 is thick at this point and gradually transitions down the tube. The K0 is thick at this point but the transition is much more abrupt and a distinct ridge can be seen on the K0 tube. Someone may wish to post a picture.
Yabba Dabba KP

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile

I can't tell the difference after examining some available photos.  Could you let me know how to tell them apart?
the lower fork legs should have a distinct lip around the fork leg just below the rubber gaitor. as the early fork seals where smaller and prone to leaking, they tried to resolve this by removeing the metal fork seal washer and using thicker oil seals. by the time the k1 was released they made the bigger leg to hold the bigger and thicker oil seal

greggo325

• View Profile
The underside of the wrinkle tank, and my repro side covers.

1941wld

• View Profile
greggo325,
If you are going to clean the tank. I'd use some rust remover from AutoZone or Harbor Freight "Evapo-Rust™"  Rust Remover. Fill the tank up with this stuff. let it sit for a few days then check it. You will use this stuff over and over to remove rust on other parts. Also once the tank is clean, have a liner ready to go inside.. Do the de-rust and liner after the body work is done. If there is holes in the tank, no matter how large, a product called Kwik Poly http://kwikpolyllc.com/ is what I use to strengthen/line and fill holes in gas tanks. Just put a piece of duck tape over the hole to keep the KP form leaking out. I'm sure everyone has their favorites, and this is mine. Great stuff.

greggo325

• View Profile
greggo325,
If you are going to clean the tank. I'd use some rust remover from AutoZone or Harbor Freight "Evapo-Rust™"  Rust Remover. Fill the tank up with this stuff. let it sit for a few days then check it. You will use this stuff over and over to remove rust on other parts. Also once the tank is clean, have a liner ready to go inside.. Do the de-rust and liner after the body work is done. If there is holes in the tank, no matter how large, a product called Kwik Poly http://kwikpolyllc.com/ is what I use to strengthen/line and fill holes in gas tanks. Just put a piece of duck tape over the hole to keep the KP form leaking out. I'm sure everyone has their favorites, and this is mine. Great stuff.

Hey, thanks for the advice!  The tank is going to a body shop owner my dad has known for decades.  He rescued my CA95's tank after sitting for years with a poorly done Kreem job, and a layer of rust underneath that.  It was so bad I feared it was a complete loss, but somehow Carl saved it.  I think he has a radiator hot tank or something similar.  He works some magic over there ;D All efforts will be made to save the wrinkle tank ;)

greggo325

• View Profile
Not much of an update, but I found a turned-down to smooth oil filter cover on ebay...only fifty bucks ;D ;D

greggo325

• View Profile
It took a few months of searching, and lots of help from forum members over on SOHC4.net, but I've found a sandcast motor, and it's an EARLY one.  CB750-10003xx ;D ;D ;D  It's missing the correct head, and clutch cover at the very least, but I just couldn't pass up such an early motor ;)  I'll post up pics when it arrives.

greggo325

• View Profile
371 is on its way!  I'm hoping it still has the thin lip alternator cover.  It should be here next week.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:56:52 pm by greggo325 »