Honda CB750 Sandcast

High resolution images of 1001095/E1001319. Enjoy!

Wayne · 30 · 27153

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I too was excited to see the high degree of polish on the engine covers as that is how I decided to do the covers on 576.
Does everyone agree that the finish looks original, untouched?  I would have said they looked too shiny but that's why I'm asking.

Mark
I think they are just the way they left the factory. Trying to decide on the aluminum parts finish has almost driven me to drink...a lot! :) It wasn't until I found a good original spot on my alternator cover and stripped the clear was I convinced either way on what is or isn't "correct" for 576. Under some of my original clear it was evident that the cover had a fairly high polish to it. I have experimented and am able to match it pretty good so I'm going with it. It will definitely be reflective (no pun intended) of the covers shown on this bike.

How's this for a theory: We have heard of and seen examples of parts with a fairly high reflective finish. Even the NOS parts Riccardo sent me pic's of I could see his reflection in the part. We have also heard/seen of parts with a more "brushed" look. Could it be that early on Honda was indeed polishing the aluminum pieces however as a result the clear coat delaminated easily causing some customer satisfaction issues? Perhaps with later bikes they went with a more "brushed" finish so the clear would stick better? Just throwing it out there as 576 parts are clearly polished under the original, old and yellowing clear.

BTW, I KNEW you were going to ask that question! ;)
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

markb

• View Profile
BTW, I KNEW you were going to ask that question! ;)
:D :D
I like your theory Wayne.  Fortunately, I guess, I've been too busy to "finish" up my covers and get them clear coated.  I'm going to rethink what I'm going to do.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
WRT carb float bowl drain tubes, a 1971 parts list reference exists which quotes 1029794 as being the VIN at which these were fitted, so definitely no sandcasts with them from the factory.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Reserve over 35k?  We might see a no sale and a re-list with a lower reserve.  That or the individual at 34.9k may get an offer after the auction ends.  Course with over 3 days left the 40k predictions could come true. 

I'm working on a visit with an individual that has a cb750 in the 4000 vin range here in Colorado Springs.  I'm not in the market just would like to varify that he indeed has a sandcast.  If anyone wants me to put him in contact with you as a potential buyer let me know in a PM.  He knows he has something of value so an appropriate offer will be in order.  Chris. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reserve was met, highest bid 35,099. People pulled their bids. Guess they just wanted to see what the reserve was.  :-\ I call BS on that tactic. If I were the seller I would be pissed. I would pull the listing and set the reserve higher. Now everyone knows the ballpark in which to "snipe" near the end of the auction.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Agree 100% with Wayne.  That bike does not deserve bullshit bidding.  Nor does the recently widowed owner.  Only the ignorant could accuse the seller for "salting the mine."  The seller is a man of integrity.  He could have bought that bike for himself for far less, but chose instead to post it on ebay for the widow, because, as seller told me, "I could not live with my conscience if i had bought that bike for less than it's worth, no matter had i kept it for myself or resold it."  The auction's been sabotaged.  If auction runs to it's end, the actual value will not be known, because sniping will occur.  Were auction mine, i'd pull the plug at the first bidding violation.  We've recorded less than 380 machines known to exist.  I only know of one other in such fine original condition and it sold 2 years ago for $41,000 plus.  This bike will not go down in value, only up.

Joe K

• View Profile
This will all work out well in the end.  A good amount of money for the widow and a good selling price to help bolster and solidify the value for all Sandcasts.

Joe K.

kmb69

• View Profile
I'm with Wayne and Steve on this one - BS tactics. Maybe bidder collusion on this one to keep the price as low as possible. fleabay ought to take a harder line on that retraction crap. But of course if the high bidder doesn't pay and leaves the seller hanging, the seller has to start over or take next highest bid. There's some real squirrels out there. We'll see.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
It's worth what it sells for in the end. That said, pulling bids is an underhanded way to find out the reserve.  This is e-bay just letting the public run their auction site instead of doing anything on behalf of their sellers.  As for snipers, that is just good bidding instead of driving up the price.  The person who bids with the price willing to pay in mind cant get sniped unless the sniper is willing to pay more.  Know this... If I'm watching an item you better bid this way or you won't even see me coming till I win in the last 4 seconds.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:53:37 am by chrisnoel »

kmb69

• View Profile
Sniping is usually a subscription service that allows you to enter an eBay item number and your top bid. It will fire your bid in electronically with about 4 seconds to go.

I use EZ-Sniper with excellent results. It is especially helpful when a Seller enters multiple items electronically and their end times are within seconds of each other.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The vin stampings on the frame are the first i recall being bare metal; that is, the metal is not rusted where the paint was chipped out form the stamping procedure.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The longer one looks the more interesting this bike becomes.
Check out the early exhaust finned exhaust clamps. These are the thick style that have the #'s 2 & 3 clamps ground away to clear the centre fins and the petcock has been replaced.
Can anyone tell if the mirror stems are 10mm or 11mm Mark do you have any views  :-\
Yabba Dabba KP