Honda CB750 Sandcast

Number 8 screws/bolts

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by "Frampton" Guest

I was wondering if someone can bring me up to speed as to how many there were and where they were used. How hard are they to come by and what kind of finish is being used in restorations for the assorted nuts and bolts. Thanks.... Steve

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Steve, Anydy is working on opeing trade relations with the Japanese. They are mfgr'ing new "8" bolts. The Nishimatsu Restore Shop has a nice website, unfortunately none of us read Japanese. I have never taken the time to actually make a list of the total number of bolts and sizes as well as where they are used. That is an excellent idea & a great project. steve

736cc

• View Profile
Its around 3 dozen, Honda parts Manual req'd source for verifying sizes. White zinc plating to refinish. I need an orig #8 bolt 10 x 80 to finish a bike. There were 2 different early #8 bolts w/ slightly different shaped "8"s; the earliest sandcasts "8"s were all large and round, later sandcasts had some squarish "8" s mixed in, the K0's had aklmost all squarish "8"s. The K1's and up had the common "8"s that look like a circle w/ a dash.
One of my favorite sandcast details, these bolts., soooo cool. 8)

oldhemi

• View Profile
Crap, Andy. Now I gotta worry about the DIFFERENT kind of sandcast 8's?
BTW, I was able to make some sence out of babblefish. I originally thought you were dissing the Jap language by calling it babble fish  ::)
What I did was open another window with babblefish. I copied the url form the Jap site to the babblefish window and then let it translate. What came out WAS babblefish. Its pretty funny but I could understand what they were trying to say, mostly, sorta, somewhat.
I ran the currency exchange on some of the prices and then I was no longer so amused.

mcreviver

• View Profile
How about some of the language in the service or operators manuals? I remember "clinking ability" for "climbing ability." Or "tootle" the horn. Anybody know what a "gudgeon pin" removal tool is? You might if you worked on a Triumph and wanted to remove a piston. Or a "supape." Spanish for valve.

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Someone could post photographs of the different types of number"8" bolts?
There are differences between "8s" hex bolts from Yamiya and the originals?
What kinds of "8" hex bolts must a late Sandcast use?
CNC machine could make these "8s" on an ordinary "grade 8" bolt?

Thanks, congratulations to all members and sorry about my English.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
"8" refers to the numeral 8 on the head of bolt; not the grade of steel.

Search Discussion Board entering....  #8 bolt.  Look for post #4.  You should be able to see pictures of some of the early type 8 bolts.   There should be other threads with pictures of 8 bolts. 

Middle type and late type 8 bolts are expected to be found on late production vins.  These middle type and and particularly the late type bolts are generally not found on early vin sandcasts.

Don't worry about your English !  It's good !  We're here to help !