Honda CB750 Sandcast

Tapered bearings for steering head

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wondering if anyone has fitted tapered bearings to their steering head(s) ?  The idea of replacing a ball bearings with tapered bearings seems like a better setup.

I've been researching what i can find, seems like "All Balls" (pn 22-1011) makes a kit for the CB750.  The kit comes with upper and lower bearings, two seals and a couple different thickness spacers.

Can anyone share their experience installing and riding a tapered bearing setup ? 

I'm contemplating the switch from stock to taper for 2157.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve
The kit probably makes for greatly improved feel/steering however I read somewhere that the setup will raise? the upper tree somewhat due to bearing dimension differences? (height) So although it will work well mechanically the "original" look at the neck will be compromised.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wayne, do you recall where you saw the upper clamp possibly being raised ?  I surfed sohc4.net and found some information, but nothing specidic to that.

What i found on soh4 was the All Balls 22-1011 kit comes with two different thickness spacers; one of the spacers to be fitted on the bottom of stem.  Did not find any info specific to fitting kit to 69/70 models, but did find info on fitting spacer to the K1.   Even in the couple K1 specific posts i found, there was conflicting info if the thin or the thick spacer was to be used, but seems the concensus was to fit the thick spacer.  (Would think K1 bearing setup, distances, etc, same as 69/70.......)

Re:  2157 being a rider, i'm not too concerned about original appearance, in the event the upper clamp would be raised, but if it is too high and appearance was too greatly affected, i probably wouldn't want that and would go with original ball bearing setup.

Given 2157 is a rider, the idea of tapered bearings giving more positive steering and improved handling is certainly attractive.  Hence my interest in the tapered bearing setup.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Too be honest Steve I don't remember exactly. Hondaman or Chris R maybe?? I'll do some browsing and see what I can find.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
just a followup, installed a set of Japanese tapered bearings (not allballs.)  used the oem bottom shim washer and the oem rubber seal.  no spacers required; no visual differences from oem ball bearing setup.  have yet to go for a test ride; then will report back.

Don R

• View Profile
 I know this thread is old but for anyone referring to it. I remember the top bearing's race being slightly taller. That was several years ago they may be improved by now.
 My bike had rollers already but they were dinged, when all the dings lined up it was wobbly, I'd stop and move the bars through full motion a couple times to mix the flat spots up for a while. One day while doing this I realized 3 motorcycle cops were watching me. I'm betting they all got a chuckle out of the goof on the old Honda.