Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast Reproduction Shocks $175

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ;) save your money them are k1 shocks black tops and black centers under springs ::)

greggo325

• View Profile
;) save your money them are k1 shocks black tops and black centers under springs ::)

I was under the impression that the black tops and centers were the differences between K0 and later ones..

How much closer to original can I get without buying 43-year old used shocks, or spending $500 on nearly identical ones from Yamiya?

kmb69

• View Profile
Greggo,

That's a pretty good price. He sells them for $165 plus shipping on his website - http://www.z1parts.net/product/cb750-sandcast-shocks. Would obviously have to do something different for a 100 point resto but they look like pretty decent repros. Let us know how they perform.

Keith

greggo325

• View Profile
Thanks Keith!

I'm still curious about the differences between these and the original equipment if you could point those out.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ;) ko 's had alloy tops  and chrome under the springs  and they would be die-carbon gas filled not oil filled  I think, ::) but yes they are still a good buy at that price

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Huh. I saw these as well and thought they looked pretty darn correct. I based that on the photos of the 1095/1319 bike that Wayne photographed. For example, you can see the shocks in this photo have the black top and black plastic under the spring:

Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Later models had the alloy top eye. K0 had the painted top eye. You can still buy new Honda shocks for the K0 and you see them for sale not irregularly. All one needs to do is re chrome the original springs as these had a tighter coil group (approx 2 extra turns if memory is serves)
Yabba Dabba KP

UK Pete

• View Profile
I see those on ebay the other day, it is great that people are trying to replicate parts for early bikes for a good price, however with the attention to original detail people go for on hear i doubt if the very serious restorer will use them all the time originals are available all be it with a spring swap
pete

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
  :-[ just checked my spare set of nos k0 shocks ,and looks like I might have jumped the gun a bit ,they do have the plastic under the springs  and probably had chrome eyes on top and not black ,the alloy ones are too big for the spring washers also the spring collets are chrome ,I did try to make up a set of these a few months back but some of the parts are not interchangeable unless you have a set of old shocks to use as replacements  ::) sorry to add to the confusion BTW david silvers was selling these black top shocks and are listed by them as k1.  you could always send the black tops to the chromers  :-\

kmb69

• View Profile
Black tops, 52400-300-0?0XW, are correct for ALL SC's, K0's, and K1's. The top changed at K2, 52400-341-000.

KP is correct. The springs were changed between 52400-300-010XW and 52400-300-020XW.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Going with what KP said about number of spring windings, the number of exposed springs on the 'sandcast' type is 7.  later springs are barely 6 exposed.

1941wld

• View Profile