Honda CB750 Sandcast

OK I'LL ASK

donzie · 5 · 1978

donzie

• View Profile
On the homepage if this group go to international news & under USA news there is a cb750 with the engine still in the frame with the cylinders & head removed. Is this possible without cutting the frame
DONZIE

Bickle

Well...I do believe that is the prototype.....but unless it was extremely different...the answer is no it cannot be done without pulling the motor....or using a sawzall.

Steve

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
i did manage too take the rocker cover off a many years ago after the camshaft seized on me (or started too sieze a sound i will never forget)but it went ok after it cooled down ,so after getting it home decided on the quick fix (remove rocker cover and take a look) after removing all engine mountings and bolts and drop the engine in the frame i finally got the cover off imagine the mess on the cam , the frame was far worse chipped everywhere,the bolts had worked loose so decided too locktight the bolts and away too go,it lasted about a month the same noise partial seizure ,so rather than let it cool i dicided too limp home about five miles limp home is true it snapped the camshaft and bent some valves got home on 2 cylinders,back too the drawing board full strip down rebore piston camshaft and helicoil the bolts,and the frame repowder coated,
job done
so the real answer is NO never dont even think about it,
do it right and it dont need doing again, i still love stripping them engines, but now my back aint up too it anymore

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The engine's not bolted into the frame  ;) fellas.  KP
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Based on how long that engine is believed to have been apart, I think we may find that it was taken out of the frame, the top end removed, and then the bottom end put loosely back in the frame for safe keeping.
I have seen a modified frame on an ex US bike where two of the top rails were cut away below the gas tank so that the cam cover could be removed in situ.
Okay for you guys who only have straight roads and don't notice frame flex, I guess!
Chris R.
302/338