Honda CB750 Sandcast

2-Digit Sandcast in Southern California on CL

greggo325

• View Profile
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/4214237359.html

Don't see many of these unearthed anymore!  Worth every penny to restore.  I'm betting he wants $20K if he really knows what he's got...That's what I'd be asking ;) 

Up for Sale/Trade is a 1969 Honda CB750 'Sandcast'

As luck would have it, this beauty just fell on my lap. I won't bore you with details but after going over everything I have decided to let her go, based on the fact that I simply do not need nor deserve a bike like this. It either belongs in the garage of an avid bike enthusiast or in a museum... not in my back yard.

Until recently the bike has been garage kept and unregistered since 84. It doesn't kick through but is complete along with original Exhaust (currently sporting the 4 into 1 set up. Pics above). I also have the original receipt from the dealership, along with other misc paperwork. Not to mention an extra custom brown leather seat (Also pictured above).

I am accepting all cash offers and may be open to trade (Preferably Vehicle). The bike is currently with me out in the Mohave Desert near Barstow. I will be taking a lot of trips down for work and for the holidays so showing the bike shouldn't be an issue, not to mention thanks to technology we can also Facetime or Skype =)

Anyhow, if you are interested please just shoot me an Email and we'll go from there. Thanks for your time and consideration!

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Minor correction - frame 28, engine 132 (he sent me pictures).

No doubt original pairing, but slightly dispapointed to have such an early VIN with a three digit motor!

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

markb

• View Profile
No doubt original pairing, but slightly dispapointed to have such an early VIN with a three digit motor!
  :o I thought I was being a little silly but I was disappointed about that myself. ;D Not that I wouldn't mind having it anyway. 
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kmb69

• View Profile
 :o I thought I was being a little silly but I was disappointed about that myself. ;D Not that I wouldn't mind having it anyway.  

They must have identified issues with the earliest engines that required sending them back for some rework but production kept moving.

This bike has some issues besides a stuck engine. Spotted several non Sandcast items on it. Decent specimen just the same.

Worth far less than the $20k being speculated about IMO. Certainly restoreable at some expense.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:19:59 pm by kmb69 »

markb

• View Profile
Spotted several non Sandcast items on it. Decent specimen just the same.
Mirrors, rear fender?  What else?
Mark B

kmb69

• View Profile
I should have said "and other issues". Handlebars, non-recessed ignition switch, left badge on right cover, something funny about how that LH horn is mounted, no blinkers, can't tell for sure if it is a smooth kill switch, tank was repainted for some reason - dents? Stuck engine - just rings? - something broken? Was definitely leaking oil from multiple areas. Carburetors have been off. Upper air box appears to be broken. Just not a $20k pristine specimen like the guys on SOHC are throwing around. VIN is lower than my lowest and I would love to have it. I think a frame up restoration would be in order to achieve highest value and you know what that takes in time and money. I guess I was just kind of calculating out loud what I would offer for this particular bike. A 2 digit engine would help the value a lot IMO.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
What a time capsule.  Problems yes, but how many of these will one have the chance to preserve?  Wanting to undertake the time and expense is the only question.  The price can be hammered out after that. 

markb

• View Profile
I'm impressed Keith.  How can you tell the carbs have been off?  Although I would guess on a bike that old they would have had to come off sometime.
Mark B

kmb69

• View Profile
The clamps are installed upside down, well actually downside up.

And I forgot to mention, I cannot see the oil filter cup.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:01:03 pm by kmb69 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guys, I asked for more pictures and this thing is fairly complete There is a set of original pipes, seat, and other items with the bike. Yep, it may need a little deep cleaning but IMHO this bike is worth way more than $20k. Not missing much at all
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

gary

• View Profile
Nice early bike, will need a lot of work to make it nice. The numbers make it very interesting , i find any thing below 1000 seems to command a higher price, both numbers below a hundred would help this bike. 16 k seems about market in my humble thoughts.

markb

• View Profile
I exchanged a couple of emails with this guy back in December.  After that I sent several emails that went unanswered.  Is this one still for sale? 
Mark B

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I understood that it was bought by an SOOC member. Hopefully the person concerned managed to conclude the deal and will "share" with us at some time in the future.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think Keith had access to similar photos to what I received. My take is it certainly has the early instruments, 19 litre tank with early petcock, original front end, early triple tree and master cylinder, early exhaust spigots, a nice original set of 'lettuce-root' exhausts, has an early set of carbs with #28 caps to go. I'm seeing an incorrect seat, bars, RH switch, paint on tank, LH horn bracket looks to be broken away but there, 1 of the cables to the instruments, no indicators a side cover emblem, oil filter cover is finned, cracked air cleaner and a little bit of this and that but I would think this is as good as one could expect. It has the very early oil lines, early brake lines etc.
So what would you do with this  bike  ??? We know the motor is stuck but I would try the Aero Kroil remedy first. Maybe a deep clean of the frame, fix those items not original and see what the outcome is or would you do a complete rest.
Yabba Dabba KP