Honda CB750 Sandcast

K2 to K0 Clone

Wayne · 7 · 2069

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I bought a K2 last year to enjoy some actual riding on CB750 again while I whittle away on 576. I bought it with the intent if "cloning" it somewhat into a K0, appearance wise. Just a quick winter project and I'll be riding it again in the spring. I have some spare parts I can use, just need to get a list together of what else I may need. Here goes. I know this probably should be over on the SOHC board but what the heck, lot's of experts right here I know better. :) The bike will be painted candy red. My favorite. I'm not trying to make this a "perfect" clone, just to make it look and perform more like a K0. Let me know what I''m missing.

Things to change or aquire:

Single cut front fender (I'll prob go for the cheaper Vietnam one if I can't find a good used)
Gauges
Seat and latch or just re-cover K2 seat and leave lock. Haven't decided.
Early Oil tank (I have a spare)
Side Covers (have a yamiya right, just need a left)
Early Air Box (have a LPM with indents)
Painted for ears
Early swing arm and (short or long?) nylon guard.
Maybe exhaust. (I would really like to put HM300's on but $$$$!!) :(
45 and 17 tooth sprockets

I'm not worried about Carb's. I'll leave the K2 carb's for ease of setup and staying in sync.

Any additions folks?

Questions:

Will this grommet set work to install K0 covers on my K2?
http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_83&products_id=2060

[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile
What was the reason for cloning the bike wayne, do you not like the look of the k2, i have to agree candy ruby red ko,s do look good, how far do you want to go, ie, chain adjusters , forks, black kill switch , mirrors,  i just recently picked up another ruby red k1 you now have me thinking of cloning it to K0, here is my new k1, the only reason i bought it was to get the NOS HM300 exhaust set and NOS seat the guy was selling with it

pete

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
"if it were mine," i'd convert in stages and do only a little in each stage.  perhaps do the painted parts first, then you'd have the airbox and side covers taken care of along with the oil tank.  later do the gauges after you've accumulated all the parts.  if it were mine, i'd just clip the leading and rear edges of the ft.fender and call it good.  or, if that fender is too nice, snag one off ebay.  i'd use a "ko" cover and foam on the existing pan.  (if i recall correctly, i don't believe the k2 frame has accommodations for "ko" seat latch..)  for a bike i am going to actually ride and enjoy riding, i've found my "tastes" have changed.  i used to think it had to be perfect = everything like original.  no longer do i feel this way.  the k2 will never be a "ko,"  even if i went totally anal on the conversion, down to changing the vins....  you get the point.  it's just an old Honda 750, after all. you bought the bike to enjoy, so do a bit here and ride it there and then do a bit more and ride it some more.  the paint/airbox/sidecover thing would be the biggest step. then the gauges could come later, cause you'll have to get rid of those idiot lights on the handlebars.  followed by the seat and from my standpoint, i'd be done.  or do the seat first, then the gauges. most people will see the bike and think it's a "ko".  a few will know it's not and that's no big deal.  i've ridden a couple bikes "going through transition; it's fun.  those rubbers you show from the Yamiya website are the ones you need.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pete I decided to do a clone as I just wanted the look and feel in a "rider". A decent K0 is just out of reach for me with the other bikes I have plus the cost of restoring 576.

I'm not going to the level if nitty gritty details. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

Steve, all valid points I will take into consideration. I need a front fender as mine is dented pretty good so I figured the Vietnam copy would be cost effective and do the job. I'll ask Santa for the other side cover, fork ears and grommets and I will be off to the races with the painted parts. I think you are right in that will bring a lot of satisfaction to the job. :)

I would really like to get rid of the ugly console and get gauges for it. I recall Marcel saying he had a pretty good deal on converting them. I'll probably pop the front end apart and do tapered bearings in the neck while I'm at it. I have extra small reflectors for the fork ears as well. I think we are off to a good start! :)
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
lemme take a look in my "stuff" and see what condition the ft.fender i have is in.  i believe it is k1 with ft./rr. later edges.  i'll let you know if it's any good.  gimme a few days.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve! I forgot to ask. Will K0 K1 fork ears fit a later front end? I didn't intend on changing out the front end parts other than cosmetic. I figured I would grab the Yamiya ears for 50 bucks each and give my painter something already painted to match up to.

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_77&products_id=217
[size=