Honda CB750 Sandcast

The nuts and bolts of it.

Don R · 3 · 1278

Don R

• View Profile
 I own 5511, it's very original but I've noticed a couple of things I think have been changed. Let me know if I'm correct.
 The airbox screws are screwdriver type not 8 head hex bolts. They are easier to start so that's probably why.
 The grab handle has an 8 head bolt but it appears almost recessed into the handle, I can turn it just barely. I'm assuming it's been overtightened severly or maybe it's missing a washer.
 It had lowering blocks and one rear axle retainer bolt was swapped for an allen head. I found a later 8 head bolt to use but it's of course not correct.

Is there any new information about the early 8 head bolts? I guess also, is 5511 new enough to start seeing a mix of the different head shapes?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:19:35 pm by Don R »

Don R

• View Profile

I found the 8 head bolt lost way back when the po was installing the lowering blocks. It was in the same location in the drag bike I bought from the shop where the sandcast was stored and had always been worked on at. Karma?

kmb69

• View Profile
Yes Sir, that's Karma.

Looks like you got no answer to your 1st question. Pretty sure the #8 bolts were used exclusively through the K0's at least. I think the K1's started to get some smooth, chrome heads for appearance in places. But we are still learning that there was nothing set in stone back in the day and Honda would occasionally used and install different stuff at different times to keep the production moving.

Keith