vulcan meanstreak

UK Pete

• View Profile
Looks nice enough to me, not enough detail photos to determine originality
pete

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Pete, There's plenty of photos. Let's start with the mirrors, tank trim, tank filler lock, instruments being reversed, front fender, RH switch, heat shields on the exhausts, wiring under seat has a plastic sleeve , under seat has been sprayed black, wire holding seat, clutch cable, alternator cover, shock absorbers, brake and clutch levers, carb clamps; and this lot is from the posted pictures. Add to that the powdercoat frame and repainted tank etc, originality has been lost just on these points. For a bike to claim museum status, this falls well short IMHO  ::) Its certainly not an "original" and my post was more about the price paid based on that claim. Yes the bike is nice just not original.
Yabba Dabba KP

UK Pete

• View Profile
Wow fair play to you kp you know your stuff,   you mentioned these points,  now looking at them i should of really spotted them myself i was all caught up in the gloss and shine of it all

CBman

• View Profile
kp: why do you think the front fender is not correct ? For me, I have problem with the recessed ignition switch. About original condition, in fact nobody (seller) had said it is original condition. Seller just said he has clean nice bike. And this is reality. If the bike will be in really original nice condition, price will be over 15k. And I haven“t see many, same as original nice condition sandcats. It is common, that restored K0 are selling over 10k. It depends how accurate the restoration was done.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
kp: why do you think the front fender is not correct ? For me, I have problem with the recessed ignition switch. About original condition, in fact nobody (seller) had said it is original condition. Seller just said he has clean nice bike. And this is reality. If the bike will be in really original nice condition, price will be over 15k. And I haven“t see many, same as original nice condition sandcats. It is common, that restored K0 are selling over 10k. It depends how accurate the restoration was done.

Yes you are correct CBman, the seller doesn't say that and my first post didn't say they had. My post was about the price received for a bike that was not in original condition. I also didn't say the bike wasn't nice, again just a lot of money for that bike IMHO. You may think otherwise, but not so long ago a mid run K0 in very nice condition would be hard pressed to get over $10k Times may be changing and markets go up and down but a mid run K0 at over $15k would have to be almost perfect for my money. One should also take into account the VIN Early VIN die cast bikes will bring higher prices than the later bikes.
If the front fender is a single cut then it's correct I just can't make out that detail. It looks to be a rolled rear to me but not clear enough for my eyes. The socket key switch is seen in the 2xxxx VIN bikes. Whilst I'm not saying this to be a 100% certainty, but from what I've seen the double cut fender was first thing to go, then the wrinkle tank and then the socket key ignition. I do have to correct my comment about "museum". I read static display and made an assumption My bad.
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
comparatively speaking, based on years past, seems prices keep rising on ko's and k1's.  ebay is fickle.  over the years, i've seen some really clean examples and not so clean examples go for either unexpectedly high or low prices.   what does not make sense to me, is i've seen some pretty decent sandcasts go for less than what is paid for somewhat comparable condition ko's and k1's.  

as i see it, with ebay selling prices, it comes down to:  1. the day, 2.  the bidder and 3.  the bike.  if all 3 line up the selling price will either be under or go over or.....  be what one would expect.  

in the case of this bike, it looks like a shiny one; for $13k+ my concern is it could be a "smoke and mirrors" machine.  the welded mufflers, chrome heat shields, the green "red zone," reversed gauges, k1 tank trim are tell tale signs of a bike that was put together with what was available "to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  on the other hand, what the hell do i actually know about this bike.......  ?  nothing.  trusting my experience and intuition, it's a bike i would be very leary of dropping $13k+ on.  

fwiw, 2004, i sold a gorgeous correct vin 33xxx May 1970 ko for $8500; felt i did quite well.  new rebuilt engine.  all new paint.  all new chrome.  nos gauges.  new HM300's.  fortunately for me, the deceased previous owner had already spent money on alot of the more expensive parts.  i only had to find a few other expensive parts to make the bike right.   according to http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php $8,500 2004 dollars is worth $10,500 2013 dollars.  not as much inflation as i expected.  comparing this $13k bike that just sold, makes me think that 33xxx bike should have been worth around or under $20k....  in my dreams.  

i can't recall any ko selling for much more than this $13k ebay bike went for.

on another note, i've always believed plug type ignition switches were used on all CB750's until the introduction of the k1, which had the flat faced switch.......

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Correctly. The only thing we know: thats a 43 year old bike and ....it had been ridden!

In my eyes this is a great looking  unrestored bike well looked after over the decades. Would sell for at least 14 here.

Euro.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I think it is the now growing problem that as soon as you mention Sandcast   £££ or $$$ signs start ringing because the K0's shared many parts with  Sandcasts and there has regrettably  been a knock on effect on pricing of K0 bkes and parts. This makes it difficult for the likes of UK Pete  & myself who have early VIN K0's in sourcing original parts. I have given up on the rear rolled rim because any K0 ones are just gobbled  up at extortionate prices as they are common to the Sandcast. I was warmly welcomed on this site as an early  K0 owner (even thought is is supposed to be Sandcastonly) and there is a wealth of information on here, which I have soaked up. A massive thanks to everyone on here for the wealth of knowledge you willingly pass on to us K0 owners. However, I always wanted to own the model which  I oggled at in the local Honda dealers in 1970 at the top of my street, when I was riding my trusty C200 90 'Sports' to school. This would never have been a Sandcast model because we simply were not fortunate to get any here (unless you were  Lord Denbigh who bought the 'Brighton' bike from Honda UK).

Cheers... AshD

UK Pete

• View Profile
Yes your right there ash, K0 parts are commanding sandcast prices, trying to find a head and barrells for a ko is really hard now when they come up they are stupid money, i suppose they are the same as late sandast , same with wrinkle tank, ignition switch, 2 hole hub, rear guard, front gaurd, air box, carbs, engine internals, switch gear, clocks, seat, swing arm chain guard, front forks , front wheel and probably much more, infact as far as i can see the late sandcast and early k0,s only have a few differences, mainly engine cases,
pete

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Regarding plug key ignition switches, by observation I BELIEVE they disappeared somewhere in the 1025xxx VIN range. A friend here in the UK has owned a 1026xxx bike since early 1971 when it had just 3000 miles, and which never had a recessed type switch. I have certainly seen a couple of 1025xxx bikes which appeared original and did have the recessed switch fitted.

Chris R.

Chris R.
302/338

CBman

• View Profile
KP: for me, it looks like the single cut, but not 100% sure. About the plug ignition switch, this one has not correct nut on itselves.

CBman

• View Profile
Stewe:  last year I remember there were at least 2 KO selling for more than 12k. The highest price I see for K0 was 15300 in the end of 2012, which was only one in original museum condition. Last year there were several K1s selling for more than 10k. Just ask MarkB how much does he worth his Diecast K0. True is, that it is nearly impossible to find perfectly restored K0.