Honda CB750 Sandcast

Plastic Ring and Pin for the Key

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i have never heard what i would consider a very good explanation for the red plug.

i do know 3 or 4 pictures of early vins, the red plug key is shown.

i have heard the red plug key was a spare key the dealer kept as a back up in case the owner lost his keys.  i have only seen "TEC" keys with red plugs.

i believe, but am not entirely certain the new machine came with 3 black plug keys.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Many years ago I bought all the plug keys from a Honda key supply, around 100 keys. As Steve stated, the only keys that had the red plug in the batch I received were TEC branded keys. The standard Honda keys were fitted with black plugs
As for the three keys, my K0 was sold to me with the original keys and yep there were 3 with plug and 1 without a plug
Anyone else have any experiences
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
You can get them in red or black from Yamiya for almost half the price.  I'm guessing that's where the seller got it.
http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=142_96&sort=20a&page=2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:48:05 pm by markb »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
As Steve stated, the only keys that had the red plug in the batch I received were TEC branded keys. The standard Honda keys were fitted with black plugs

Dear KP;

Standard Honda Keys means that the TEC Keys did not came with the bike from factory, or i did not understand very well?

Thanks.

Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Marcello, i believe you might be correct.  i always *assumed* the red plug keys seen on early vins were "TEC" keys, but i have no way to substantiate that.  Chris Noel is probably our key/switch expert when it comes to switch/key types, the "H" and "T" codes.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As Steve stated, the only keys that had the red plug in the batch I received were TEC branded keys. The standard Honda keys were fitted with black plugs

Dear KP;

Standard Honda Keys means that the TEC Keys did not came with the bike from factory, or i did not understand very well?

Thanks.

Marcello
Hi Marcello, That question I cannot answer If I knew what I know now I would own the pre production bike, all the single digit VINs all the 10 to 25 VINs and then some  ;D. On a serious note I have no information on whether the red socket key was seen on these sandcast bikes I do know they were fitted to some bikes but that's as much as I know. Can anyone else add to this thread
Yabba Dabba KP

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Just a hunch.  Honda probably made or had made extra recessed ignitions as replacements.   Along the same logic as the un-stamped engine cases. 

I'm suspicious that the recessed ignitions with white plug key and much nicer chrome finish might exist for this reason.   

Held one in my hands once and the chrome was so nice it looked like a show chrome restoration.

P.S. purchased three of Yamiya's plugs for placement on regular key and would not suggest them for other members. 

4pots1969

• View Profile
We see clearly the red key "Héso" on the photo of Vic World Sandcast pre-production,
I think that it is an original key..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:09:52 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Here are photos of my contact Switch bought a few years ago on Ebay with 1 red key TEC "Héso" and 3 black keys "Héso" which not never used, the red key is very used because she alone served, but why a single red key with three black keys??  :-\ :-[
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:26:38 pm by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
The most plausible hypothesis of a red key was can be for the maintenance and the repair at the official retailer Honda, after the intervention on the motorcycle, the mechanic is sure at once by seeing the red color of the key that it is his and that it has to get back her. But it remains a supposition..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:31:24 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The most plausible hypothesis of a red key was can be for the maintenance and the repair at the official retailer Honda, after the intervention on the motorcycle, the mechanic is sure at once by seeing the red color of the key that it is his and that it has to get back her. But it remains a supposition..

that's what i've always heard.  not confirmed, at least yet.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Steve, Just a question: what is that "TEC" on the key would not be simply the beginning
of the word technician who would mean for the maintenance? For the workshop?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The word Tec is on all Honda Sandcast Keys The difference between the black plug key and the red plug key is in the key blank itself. The red plug key blank has the Honda logo embossed in the key head whereas the black plug key has the word Honda embossed in the key head.
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i've always assumed 'tec' was the key manufacturer.  and, yes, kp brings up a very valid and good point.  the few 'tec' keys i've seen don't fit the switches.  i've never heard from a reputable source 'tec' keys came w/ any plug type switched cb750.