Honda CB750 Sandcast

8# bolts

UK Pete · 10 · 2294

UK Pete

• View Profile
Has anyone used the Yamiya 8# bolt sets , if so are they any good, i have noticed that they do not have the small dot over the number 8 but then that is a small detail and these seem to be the only ones available
pete

greggo325

• View Profile
I bought a set and they are beautiful.  They are matched very well to the original bolts, and have different shaped 8's on different bolts like the originals.  I was impressed.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Think I asked the same question Pete and some members said they were not so good. David Silver Stocks them. Some items look like the centre of the figure 8 have been drilled out. But nevertheless, great that DSS is stocking them and better than anything else around. My '69 CB250SS has them too.

Found my post:-

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=1152.msg7932#msg7932

Cheers ...AshD
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:50:50 am by ashimotok0 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
I might get a set and use them on my K0, other than the dot above the ~8 they look really good, now i have seen that vic world uses so many aftermarket and later model parts on his resto's i feel a bit easier about doing the same , i can use my K0 original 8# on my new sandcast project
pete

kenhan

• View Profile
Hi,
I have bought the Yamiya 8-bolt kit and they look really Ok to me. Only one of my bolts had the drilled out centers of the 8 and I think it is the long bolt for the chain guard. I also have some the originals with 8:s and a dot.

Does anyone know what is correct for sandcast? Was Hondas original bolts with or without the dot? On my original bolts there is also different sizes of the 8:s. I dont not know where the bolt was placed originally or if they are correct as I bought everything almost as a basket case. I will in a short time start to reassemble #5128 so I would be very pleased to know this.
/Ken
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5084 - running
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5128 - Running
1970 CB750 next project
1975 K2 (K3-5 don´t exist in Sweden) - Running
1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are two iterations of the number 8 bolts. The first are the bolts that have the very large 8 on all the bolts except the engine and the smaller bolts. The second are smaller number 8 on the bolts heads.You see this type on later 69 and early 70 model K0's
Not all bolts have the dot Generally these are found on the bolts that hold the rear chain adjuster, the centre stand and the like The larger bolts generally have no dot Engine case bolts have no dots. Sometimes you see a mixture of large and small number 8 bolts such as the engine mount bolts Not unusual to see the shorter bolts with the larger 8 and the longer bolts with the smaller 8. I doubt there is a hard and fast rule but certainly the 3 digit bikes have the large 8 on the bulk of their bolt heads.
Chris and Steve may have more info on this.
In the absence of anything then the Yamiya are better than no number 8, but there is another Japanese outlet that does carry the best and most accurate number 8 bolt but the name/link escapes me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:36:26 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
Some people are going to say that this Bolts " 8 " is well and others are going to say that they are average, I am going to say that these bolts " 8 " are not really well of the whole..
What disturbs me on bolts "8" Yamiya it is the lengthes of the threadings that are not respected..
Of course everybody cheats a little, and me too as the others cheated, but differently..
On my engine 4 bolts " 8 " were missing, 2 bolts 6X100, and 2 bolts 6x80..
I have him is redone with cut heads " 8 " and with bottoms of bolt of first put into series K1 and then resoldered, réusinés and tested in the tightening has a couple of 4,5 mgk to be sure there.
On photos, both left bolts are remanufactured bolts, and that has right loan has to be to weld.
And who would have been able to guess him very sincerely?
There, these bolts " 8 " can suffer from no criticism because they are perfect and he can go to play in the big league!
On the second photo it is this kind of bolt of K1 the bottom of which I took with the threading to redo the bolts of 8.
Naturally, it is necessary to sacrifice small-sized bolts "8" to redo of the biggest but as they are it them more difficult has to find..
I prefer this deceit and if it can help a member, it is so much the better.
The real but false bolts "8" it is better ques of the false but false bolts "8" not?!!  ;) :D :D

Gerard

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:10:25 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i thought there were 3 iterations of "8" bolts.... ???  1st, 2nd, 3rd type....  ???  but i could be quickly proven wrong on that.  i know we've discussed "8" bolt iterations at length on this forum.  a search of the posts should reveal the number and characteristics of those iterations.  (and i'm not including the "hog nose 8 type" beginning to be seen on later K0, certainly commonly seen on all K models following the K0.

My direct hands on research and experience becoming increasingly distant, i can't remember those details i once knew so well.  So, it's for this very good reason having everything we've discovered recorded on this website.

i do know on the low vins, one obviously did not see the later type "8" bolts and as the vins got higher, one saw fewer and eventually none of the early type "8" bolts on the higher vins.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

4pots1969

• View Profile
Thank you very much Steve.. ;)
It pleases me for the effort of French words.. :D
But well having said that, I shall not make bolts for a complete engine!! >:( >:(
It is just for repairing when are missing some bolts "8"  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:51:00 pm by 4pots1969 »