Honda CB750 Sandcast

Loss of 100% Oil Pressure

Joe K · 22 · 3954

Joe K

• View Profile
I started my sandcast a couple of months ago after a complete top and bottom end rebuild.  I meticulously cleaned all of the parts and assembled everything properly.  I installed an oil gauge to the side of the engine.  It is the non-oil type of gauge so it will continue to show oil pressure even when the engine is hot.  The oil gauge showed good pressure each start-up.  Then, I took my first ride and went about 22 miles.  During the ride (around 17 miles) I noticed the oil gauge dropped to zero. 

I purchased another oil gauge hoping the gauge broke, but when I installed it the gauge still shows zero.  The needle doesn't move during idle or revving.  I think I have total blockage somewhere, but I do not know where to begin.  I was thinking about to start by going to the easy to get to areas first, such as the oil filter, oil tank hoses, oil pan, side covers and valve cover.

The engine oil light isn't working, so I going to fix that first.  For some reason, I didn't think of it not coming on when I had the key in the ignition prior to start-up.  My focus was on the oil pressure gauge.

Any thoughts will be helpful.  I have done a complete rebuild on an early die-cast model before with no problems.

Thank you,
Joe K.

UK Pete

• View Profile
Undo a tappet cover and see if plenty of oil has been splashing about up the top end, dont run the bike until you have identified the problem, it could be pump related
pete

Joe K

• View Profile
Steve,

I am not sure what you mean.  Are you saying do I see oil returning into the oil tank?

UK Pete,

I will open up some of the tappet covers.  Good idea.

Thank you,
Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
What Pete says.  Only in the spirit of being helpful, of course, make sure there is oil in tank.  You might also want to remove oil pan drain plug, see what comes out, hopefully about a pint or so of oil.  Then add a pint or so of oil thru tappet cap, it will run down to sump.  To answer your question, when engine's running, remove cap on oil tank, shine a flashlight in opening you should see oil coming out the return.  If not, then you may consider if tye return oil line collapsed,  i would think unlikely.  Before assuming it's something major like oil pump failure, check all the smaller details.  The pump is a trochoid type, they are trouble free.  Unless something has cme loose.  It sounds like you had oil pressure just fine, so something happened.   Either no oil, an oil supply problem or pump is not returning.  Make sure both oil lines are patent.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Sensor of the oil gauge OK? Would check if there is any signal with a multimeter.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
I bet its an electrical issue. Check all electric cables to the gauge.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

4pots1969

• View Profile
I bet its an electrical issue. Check all electric cables to the gauge
It is a mechanical manometer has bath of oil (as on the photo) there is no electricity it seems to me..

My opinion,
It is necessary to proceed by elimination:
Draining of the oil tank and the crankcase of pump has oil and to disconnect both hoses of the oil tank.
To remove then the oil pump, then to defuse her and to verify her completely to see if everything is good.
Then take advantage of it to blow with the air compressed both entrances of the pump on the engine (inhalation and expulsion) and make sure that the air goes out in to the hole where you connected the manometer and to the hole of the contactor of pressure.
Verify that the air takes out well in the rear 2 of the oil hoses.
Also remove the oil hoses of the engine to see if the air goes out got out of it well from both holes.

When it will have been made you will have eliminated several causes of the problem..
It is when very surprising this problem of oil pressing.. ??? ???

I do not know if I arrived has well to explain to me?  ???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:15:11 am by 4pots1969 »

Joe K

• View Profile
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and will go through each one of them this coming weekend.  I will keep everyone posted.

Joe K.

Joe K

• View Profile
UPDATE - I took off the oil pan and saw that the oil pump screen was clogged with debris, such as a small cotton and hair fibers.  I cannot say how that got into the engine, since I cleaned everything so well.  There must have been something left behind in the oil tank, lines or who knows where I didn't see.  Either way, I am happy now that I found the problem and oil pressure is back to normal.

Joe K.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Good News!!
And did you also remove the oil tank to rinse him well with some gasoline F may well blow him with the air?
I you advice also to verify has new the screen of pump when you will have traveled good hundred miles... Very important!!

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
UPDATE - I took off the oil pan and saw that the oil pump screen was clogged with debris, such as a small cotton and hair fibers.  I cannot say how that got into the engine, since I cleaned everything so well.  There must have been something left behind in the oil tank, lines or who knows where I didn't see.  Either way, I am happy now that I found the problem and oil pressure is back to normal.

Joe K.

Joe
Was any similar material caught by the filter? Could it be filter material?
[size=

4pots1969

• View Profile
Good reflection Wayne, it is not impossible..
Where then too much dough of waterproofness on plan of joint in the reassembly ???
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:28:01 am by 4pots1969 »

Joe K

• View Profile
I took off the oil filter and it looked perfect.  No debris at all.  I then took off the oil tank and oil lines and made sure they were clean and clear of any material.  Which they were clean with no debris.  Finally, I lifted the valve cover and made sure there was oil in the rocker/cam area and yes there was oil with no noticeable damage.  I wish Honda would have designed their frame so that you could take off the valve cover and valve head. 

Now I am having an issue with some of the cylinders not firing.  I removed all of the spark plugs and they looked good.  I will now go through all of the wiring, especially at the coils and plugs and make sure the timing is set correctly.  I don't know why I am having so many issues with this motor.  I didn't have any problems when I rebuilt my early diecast a few years ago.  I must have been lucky back then.  This one is a challenge.  But they always say that you learn the most when things are tough and challenging.  I will keep you posted. 

Thank you all for your advise.  It helps.

Joe K.