Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast 6655 on eBay

DW69K0 · 20 · 3981

DW69K0

• View Profile
VIN & Engine already listed in directory.
This Sandcast has H300 mufflers and what looks,to be a new Yamiya seat with fewer Holes.
DW

CBman

• View Profile
Nice looking restoration. yes, it is maybe better to say complete resto, and not that the bolts are original and were only pampered. If the original bike was pampered, it would have original seat, original side covers, original tank, original fuel tank cap (aluminium one) original muffler shields  and original bolts, and no label on rear fender. This bike has not these parts, and some 8" bolts are missing, and complete bike was repainted including frame. It meens complete resto for me, or is it just "refresh" as seller says? Otherwise, just find original parts, and new owner will have really nice sandcast.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
either the seller knows more about the bike and isn't telling, but it's clear the bike knows more and is telling.  8/76 date coded top brake line.  incorrect battery ground wire.  later 6 spring rear shocks. Appears to be later wiring harness.  the frame vin stamps are painted over.  incorrect tool bag. it's difficult to believe those crankcases could ever stay that clean w/ 14xxx miles.  the seat is the early 11 hole type.  he believes HM300 were used on "vins 4500 or so..."  a nice bike, none the less and seller does acknowledge it has had at least one "freshening up."

the nos wrinkle tank is to die for....  i do note the baffle for the venting system of the fuel cap is riveted on.  would be interesting to know date of tank manufacture, as riveting the cap baffle was later practice.   

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
CBman, if i understand correctly what wrote in your post...   i'm not aware aluminum gas caps were used on production CB750's.  the pre-production units had aluminum caps hand machined.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
My '10/69 K0 has an alloy tank cap or 'Antimon' as Honda describe it or do you mean Aluminium.

Cheers .. AsHD

CBman

• View Profile
Yes, sorry, alloy cap. If I´m right it is same cast as turn signals body. The cap on this sandy is from K2 model.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The tank is a Yamiya repop as is the airbox and probably other stuff such as sidecovers. The tacho is also not a Honda original  ;)
I am away from my computer so can't discern much detail on a phone screen. Freshened up is an interesting term. kP
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
ok ,what you are calling alloy is actually what we call "pot metal" here in usa. 

of course, later caps WERE steel.  no caps on any prod.cb750 were aluminum.  i'm feeling frisky and bold, so will stake both nuts on my claim.

pot metal  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
either the seller knows more about the bike and isn't telling, but it's clear the bike knows more and is telling.  8/76 date coded top brake line.  incorrect battery ground wire.  later 6 spring rear shocks. Appears to be later wiring harness.  the frame vin stamps are painted over.  incorrect tool bag. it's difficult to believe those crankcases could ever stay that clean w/ 14xxx miles.  the seat is the early 11 hole type.  he believes HM300 were used on "vins 4500 or so..."  a nice bike, none the less and seller does acknowledge it has had at least one "freshening up."

the nos wrinkle tank is to die for....  i do note the baffle for the venting system of the fuel cap is riveted on.  would be interesting to know date of tank manufacture, as riveting the cap baffle was later practice.    

...the carburetor and gauge gears are from a later K0, but still a beautiful fully restored bike.

Marcello
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:58:50 pm by Marcello Tha »

UK Pete

• View Profile
ok ,what you are calling alloy is actually what we call "pot metal" here in usa. 

of course, later caps WERE steel.  no caps on any prod.cb750 were aluminum.  i'm feeling frisky and bold, so will stake both nuts on my claim.

pot metal  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

ashimotok0

• View Profile
We use the term pot metal here in the UK too Steve also I have heard it called ' Mickey Mouse Metal' because parts made from it break so easily. When I was at school, way back, and all my school mates were riding old British bikes they referred to Honda's as 'Jap Crap' because of parts made from pot metal, plastic chainguards and linishing marks in the chrome compared with triple chromed Brit bike parts. Problem is they were forever changing crank bearings or cleaning up oil leaks from the driveway! One of them even put sawdust in the engine of his Triumph Tiger Cub engine the day before he sold it to get rid of the main bearing noise !

So would the PP bike Vic World sold have had a filler cap made from 'real' aluminium?

Cheers .. AshD

4pots1969

• View Profile
My '10/69 K0 has an alloy tank cap or 'Antimon' as Honda describe it or do you mean Aluminium.

Cheers .. AsHD
The tank cap is in Zamac (Zamak) it is an alloy in 95 % of zinc, 4 % of aluminum, 1 % of copper and about 0,03 % of magnesium.These caps age very badly because he had to have many impurities in the Zinc there..
Door handles and cap of gasoline of my Honda S800 of 1968 were also in Zamac and they had the same disease!! 
And on Pre-Prod of Vic.W I think that it is the same thing...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:38:51 am by 4pots1969 »