Honda CB750 Sandcast

Hello from California! #1985

KBurn · 13 · 3475

KBurn

• View Profile
Hello everyone, just picked up a garage found sandcast #1985 frame with #2050 engine. My name is Kevin and im from southern california. This is my first expierience with an old model honda, but ive been working and riding motorcycles since I was young. Im in the business of restoring and modifying newer hondas and harleys and creating bobbers out of them; but Of course that will not be the case with this gem! My father came across this 69 in an old mans garage while he was remodeling his house. The bike hadn't been touched in 28 years, ever since the guy became too old to ride. He bought it originally in whittier, Ca and it currently has 44k on the odo. We decided to offer the guy some money and over a week of haggling and turn of emotions, we were able to take it off his hands. Currently we have it pretty cleaned up but we havent even tried to turn the engine over, i didnt want to risk harming anything until we figure out how gummed up it is. The entire outside is very clean, although covered in a layer of grease, oil, and dog hair lol. It has every single original part except the exhaust  :( but anyway, heres a few pics. The first one is how we found it, then as we started cleaning it up.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:39:10 am by KBurn »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Kevin,  Thanks for sharing!  That a real gem of a time capsule.  Very nice when you find 'em like that !  would be nice to find a decent set of original Lotus Roots to match the rest of the bike.  Very good example of unmolested machine.  Keep the pictures coming !

KBurn

• View Profile
I've been looking around for some but it seems that may be nearly impossible to find an original lotus set. I paid a very fair price for this bike so I have been considering a set of repro's like the yamiyas but it doesn't seem like I can buy those either. The exhaust would be the only thing needed to complete it. Does anyone have expierience with these pipes from MachIV motors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-Exhaust-Stock-Sandcast-K0-KO-No-Stamp-Pipes-NEW-1969-1970-THE-BEST-/321463930514?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad8be4e92&vxp=mtr

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I believe those are Yamiya no number pipes. I have a set and they are beautiful, but they aren't lotus roots pipes.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

DW69K0

• View Profile
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your Sandcast find!
Great nearly unmolested prize.
Best,
Duane

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yamiya's going to make another Lotus root prod.run in a couple to a few months.  Worth the wait, if you can go for the price, LR's are correct for your vin.  machmotors, gets their repro product from somebody in Japan.  Probably not Yamiya, since Yamiya is selling the same products as machmotors.  Out of personal principal, i would not buy from machmotors, their representations of used 'sandcast' parts they list on ebay do not seem scrupulous.   There was a post a day or so ago about listings they purport to be sandcast parts.  I've always liked Yamiya; they're good people in my book.

KBurn

• View Profile
Oh thats good to hear, Ill just wait for another batch of Yamiyas then. It seems like the best option. So after some more cleaning the bike is actually coming out very clean. Theres only a few pieces that have some bubbling rust that cant be taken off. This ones really turning out to be a great find. As for the engine, would you guys suggest dropping this off somewhere to have it taken apart or would some engine cleaners be ok? it hasnt been started in about 30 years.

UK Pete

• View Profile
I would drain off the old oil, if that does not look contaminated then i would tip a bit of oil in each spark plug hole, and also squirt some all over the top end through the valve tappet covers, fill the oil tank with fresh oil and turn over the engine by the kick start with the kill switch off, get that fresh oil circulating through the whole engine, then make a jugdement on whether it is worth firing up, it would not hurt to drop the sump and take a peak in there before you do anything
oh yes , well done on finding that beauty Kevin, you lucky person
pete

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
My rule of thumb, keep it simple.  If it were mine, i'd pull the oil tank, sump pan an screen.  Inspect for debris of any kind, clean.  Check timing, points clearances/condition, valve clearances, new spark plugs, clean adjust carbs, etc.  Put some fresh oil in sump, tank, cyls, crank with kill button on, then see how it runs.   If it runs good, then for riding purposes,  lube *all* moving parts.   Outside of extreme abuse, neglect the sohc cb750 motors are tough to kill.  The bike requires a major service to prepare it for road use.   A multi-decade old bike that's been sitting for years should have fresh steering head, swing arm and rear brake pivot grease.  Once you've ran it, ridden it a bit, then it will be alot more clear what the bike needs or doesn't need.  I realize the bike is an old unmolested gem that you want to give the best of care to; very commendable!  Try doing the simple and necessary before going straight out for an engine rebuild.  Most likely when the bike was parked it was running fine.  Assuming the bike was not sitting outdoors or in a salt bath, little has changed since it was last run.  There's no point doing to the bike what it likely does not need.  This is just a brief primer on getting a long stored bike road ready.  I'm sure you'll get more good advice on this db.  The important thing is get oil on all surfaces that have or receive movement !

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
for removing rust from rust blisters/pits, i use naval jelly on a rag.  it's 3% phosphoric acid, weak solution. then wash with water.  i see the pitting on your mirrors.  nothing simple will fix that, but at least you can remove the rust from the pitting/blistering.

KBurn

• View Profile
I appreciate the info guys, ive also been trying to do some research on how acceptable is is to restore certain aspects of the bike. What is the general consensus on these restorations?

1. The paint on the tank and side covers is still pretty good but slightly faded. Does it harm the value at all to have these repainted by a professional?

2. There's a few chrome parts that are pitted enough that they need to be sanded down or something. Can I just get these re chromed by a shop or is that a no-no?

3. Also, the tires are old and cracked. I dont think theyre the stock ones anyway but i was planning to switch those out as well.

4. The rear shocks look to be some aftermarket brand, im not sure. Theyre pretty rusted up as well. Would buying repros be ok for these or should I search for a set of authentic models from a early vin sandcast?

Thanks!

greggo325

• View Profile
Those painted parts still look so nice!  At least in the pictures they do.  I would suggest keeping them original and have them buffed..It is amazing how well old paint can be brought back to life by the right hands.  Tires are a necessity if the bike is to be ridden.  Re-chroming original parts is always more acceptable than buying reproductions.  If your mirrors are originals, they are absolutely worth restoring.  Your fenders and rims look pretty good from the pictures..do they need refinishing?  Honestly if that bike were mine, I'd just get it to run well, clean it, put 4-4 pipes on it and call it done.

KBurn

• View Profile
Thanks Greggo, the paint looks pretty good and shines but the side covers are slighty faded and so is the tank a tiny bit. They still look nice...but brand new paint looks amazing and id love for this to be in showroom condition eventually. There's only a few things that need to be rechromed, mirrors being one of them. They are the original ones but the rust is deep enough where id need to sand out the pitting. The fenders are actually perfect! They looked terrible when i first bought it but it was all surface rust that scratched off rather easily. Im a perfectionist when it comes to bikes like this so id like to get every piece on this bike clean and looking brand new.

For those Honda Lovers, heres a few pictures of some of my other VLX Shadows that ive modified.