Honda CB750 Sandcast

Zinc plate a tank

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Could the inside of a tank be plated, with zinc per example?

Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Interesting question, Marcello.  I don't know. 

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has successfully zinc plated the inside of a gas tank.

there's alot of drivel on the internet about the subject. 

the more reputable "sounding" sources say the inside of a gas tank's entire surface area can't be zinc plated and they give a number of scientific sounding reasons why.

thomas

• View Profile
A friend of mine bought some of those no-number 750 K0 replica exhaust sets. To make sure they don't rust he had them plated on the inside (done locally), but I can't remember with what, or how. He is a bit of a rocket scientist... I'll find out when I see him next.

On a related note, apparently when having an exhaust ceramic-coated it is also coated on the inside, so if rust prevention is what you're after that may also be an option?

cheers
Thomas

Could the inside of a tank be plated, with zinc per example?

Marcello

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Steve, I sent my tank to a guy that will do this job in my wrinkle tank, making an electrode (anode?) that can be inserted inside the tank.

He did it in a ST70 (dax) of my sun.

I will try to take some photos of the process.

Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Steve, I sent my tank to a guy that will do this job in my wrinkle tank, making an electrode (anode?) that can be inserted inside the tank.

He did it in a ST70 (dax) of my sun.

I will try to take some photos of the process.

Marcello

Marcello, very nice !  Looking forward to your report. 

FWIW, i know Harley Davidson Parkerized the inside of their tanks.   Parkerizing is a straight forward process that can be done at home.  Rust resistant.