Honda CB750 Sandcast

Tool kit and recessed switch questions

Don R · 8 · 2348

Don R

• View Profile
 How important are these items to the value of a sandcast bike? I have the manual and tools except for the feeler gauge and correct point file. I was tempted to spend $130 for a tool set that appeared to be complete but didn't pull the trigger. A thousand for the recessed switch is out of my comfort zone but there is a price threshold that I would go for.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Chris Noel is the recessed switch magnet around these parts.  if you do a db search of plug key, plug switch, plugged switch, recessed switch, you'll find his posts.  Chris has sold a number of them for what i'd consider very reasonable prices. 

i'm not sure i'd quite know how to accurately answer you value questions.  i'd be most concerned about sourcing the matched switch, lock, key setup.  i'd suggest diligent rigorous (daily or morning/night) ebay searches; quite a number of the 1970 models had those recessed switches and i'd think it's still possible to find a set at a somewhat reasonable price. 

these days, i'm totally out of touch on tool kits' availability, prices.  might be easier trying to piece one together.  a number of the CB models for maybe a couple years before and a few more years after shared some of the same tools.  there were some tools, as i recall, unique only to the 750...   as i recall.  i guess we don't have pictures in the website of an original tool kit..... !  used to be somewhat easy to get those kits 10 years ago....

Don R

• View Profile
 I have the Honda replacement end end wrenches but they are different so I watched Ebay and found the correct original ones. i do have the rest except the point file and feeler gauge, they're difficult to find. Thanks for the tip on the switches. I have a source for keys but not the rubber plugs.
 I really want all the little things correct, I'm just trying to justify the expense.

Don R

• View Profile
 I found a really nice recessed switch and an original plug key for it from the shop where my bike was sold new. My fork lock doesn't match now. Oh well, sacrifices must be made.
 The tool kit has two pliers, one 4 inches and one 5 inches long. Which would be correct for the sandcast tool kit?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The large pliers are correct for early bikes. As for your fork lock, you can take this to a locksmith and have the lock keyed to suit your recessed switch or place a wanted parts request on a few boards and see if anyone can assist you with a correct numbered lock
Just some thoughts you may consider
Cheers
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 I really got lucky on the plug switch, it clicks like a new one and has no scratches or corrosion. I'm glad I spent the money for it. I already had a tab washer so it indexes correctly, those are like hens teeth too. My K0 diecast still needs an original bracket and washer.