Honda CB750 Sandcast

sandcast 1865 sold on eBay

Kevin M

• View Profile
This auction ended yesterday and I completely missed it.  There was nothing in the main header of the listing that said "sandcast", only "Honda CB" - but I should have picked up on the year.  Sold for $9877.77

VIN 1865 E1973 with quite a few NOS Honda parts.  At today's prices they are certainly worth a lot more than the $2000 the seller says he paid (perhaps in 1992). 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-/161734802426?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25a8253bfa&item=161734802426

If the frame is straight, it seems like a very decent deal - although the mileage is unknown.

Would the original no-number exhaust be Lotus roots?

Can anyone comment on what it takes to successfully straighten a frame?

Also, what do you think the parts are worth in today's market.  I'm thinking over $3500...

2293/E2456
2565/E2734

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The buyer has done very well indeed. The exhaust if original would most certainly be a lotus root type which I would think in good condition would bring $5k+++ IMHO. A repop Yamiya LR system is around $3500. Given the other stuff this was a nice buy for someone
Yabba Dabba KP

sandcastdoctor

• View Profile
DID ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A NEW FIBERGLASS CHAINGUARD?? WHEN I FIRST FOUND MY SANDCAST (IN 1992!!), I ORDERED ALL THE NOS PARTS I COULD GET. THE CHAINGUARD I RECEIVED WAS MADE OF FIBERGLASS!! I COULDN'T EXPLAIN THAT AT THE TIME, AND STILL CAN'T NOW! ANY IDEAS??

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
DID ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A NEW FIBERGLASS CHAINGUARD?? WHEN I FIRST FOUND MY SANDCAST (IN 1992!!), I ORDERED ALL THE NOS PARTS I COULD GET. THE CHAINGUARD I RECEIVED WAS MADE OF FIBERGLASS!! I COULDN'T EXPLAIN THAT AT THE TIME, AND STILL CAN'T NOW! ANY IDEAS??

HONDA oem replacement parts mfgr'd around 1992 are not the same as HONDA parts produced for the assembly line in 1969. 

The above explanation is one of the challenges restorer's encounter when attempting a period correct restoration. 

Another probable example would be buying a Candy Blue-Green gas tank mfgr'd around 1992; this tank would have a smooth tunnel.

sandcastdoctor

• View Profile
I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE WITH YOU 100% STEVE, BUT TO MAKE IT OUT OF FIBERGLASS?? I'VE BEEN IN BUSINESS WITH AND WORKED AT BIKE SHOPS FOR 45 YEARS, JUST THE FACT THEY USED FIBERGLASS INSTEAD OF KNOCKING THEM OUT IN PLASTIC BLEW ME AWAY THEN, AND STILL NOW!

markb

• View Profile
Congratulations!  Sounds like it will be a fun project.  I'll definitely be interested to see what else you find.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Erling

• View Profile
No sighns at all of veld on screws to hold lotus innards on silencers off 1676. And they were out once when new. Friends wanted to hear!
     Erling.