Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bringing 1983 / 2005 back to live

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It is indeed the first version of the finned oil bowl. Check carefully for a crack on the inside around the boss due to a PO having overtightened; a common occurrence hence why Honda reinforced it internally with ribs.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
 No cracks but a new dilemma, same as with HM300: keep that thing on the bike as a genuine, period correct  Honda replacement or look for a good replica fin-less part?
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My view FWIW, is that the finned bowl you have is likely its original one.
There is evidence which SUGGESTS that the finned bowls were fitted from VIN 1783 onwards. Service bulletin #13 of 26th Jan 1970 covers the fitting of a modified oil filter bowl (with fins, and a number 2 embossed between two of the fins) to CB750's in the range of VIN 1783 to VIN 9554, due to problems of cracking around the inner boss of the first version finned bowl. Presumably the quoted VIN range covers the range of VINS factory fitted with the first type crack probe finned bowl. I am simply surmising that the replacement was not applied to VINS prior to 1783 because those were factory fitted with unfinned bowls which were not crack prone.

That is only my take on this subject as there are also those whose recollections are that later VIN's than 1783 came from the factory with round bowls. Given I was not fortunate to have had one of these back in the day, I am not going to suggests such observations / recollections to be incorrect. This is just another of those areas of uncertainty. 

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thank you Chris.
So I have the first version finned bowl,  there is no"2" between the fins.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:26:37 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

DW69K0

• View Profile
There is evidence which SUGGESTS that the finned bowls were fitted from VIN 1783 onwards. Service bulletin #13 of 26th Jan 1970 covers the fitting of a modified oil filter bowl (with fins, and a number 2 embossed between two of the fins) to CB750's in the range of VIN 1783 to VIN 9554, due to problems of cracking around the inner boss of the first version finned bowl. Presumably the quoted VIN range covers the range of VINS factory fitted with the first type crack probe finned bowl. I am simply surmising that the replacement was not applied to VINS prior to 1783 because those were factory fitted with unfinned bowls which were not crack prone.

That is only my take on this subject as there are also those whose recollections are that later VIN's than 1783 came from the factory with round bowls. Given I was not fortunate to have had one of these back in the day, I am not going to suggests such observations / recollections to be incorrect. This is just another of those areas of uncertainty. 

Chris R.

Chris,
Interesting, I currently own E2765 & E3599 and both have round finless oil filer housings. I always thought the filter cover changed over to the finned versions about the same time the horn changed from left to right side, around VIN 4000.
Best,
Duane

DW69K0

• View Profile
Uli,
Does your engine pad have three punch marks on the stator side? It looks like it might, but I can't quite distinguish for sure in photo?
Thanks much,
Duane

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Chris R.

Chris,
Interesting, I currently own E2765 & E3599 and both have round finless oil filer housings. I always thought the filter cover changed over to the finned versions about the same time the horn changed from left to right side, around VIN 4000.
Best,
Duane

I'll go to my grave with two very distinctively clear memories of my 4779 having a round oil filter cover.  I have noted those memories elsewhere on this forum.

Erling

• View Profile
E Vin 1638 did come with finless oil filter house, and it did end up having 3 hairline crashes from centre and out!
August 24 '69 I saw in Sweden 2 CB 750 both having finned filters. E Vins about 23XX.
Erling.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Uli,
Does your engine pad have three punch marks on the stator side? It looks like it might, but I can't quite distinguish for sure in photo?
Thanks much,
Duane

Sorry I don't understand your question. Engine pad = ?

Which part in the parts book do you refer to?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:06:03 am by Sgt.Pinback »

DW69K0

• View Profile
Uli,
Sorry for the confusion. The engine number pad, where the numbers are stamped on the engine of 2005. Are there three round punch marks stamped on left of engine number pad?
Thanks,
DW

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
pic

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Cleaned the rear shocks. Came out quite good. Managed to get rid of most of the rust spots.
Chrome on springs is partly faded.

(I sold NOS KO springs 1 or two years ago via e-bay ......)

You can see on the left shock where the showa sticker had been. Just for reference.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
the fabric is faded.  it can be easily restored by using http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-11203-6-BLACK-11OZ-PLASTI-DIP-RUBBER-HANDLE-SPRAY-/130532336638?hash=item1e645563fe:g:iQQAAOSwv0tVHeYT

Done with that stuff. Thanks for hint!

Will be biking in Colorado next 8 days with 4 mates. Flying to Denver tomorrow. So no progress till end of June.