Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bringing 1983 / 2005 back to live

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Uli
Cam cradle x 1 has end cuts.

Another pic with the cam.... On the left new, on the right old cam holders.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The cam cover is indeed an early type 2 cover. Make sure you keep the small breather cover and cam cover together as these are a matched pair The breather cover is taller than the later covers
The 4 is common to the K0 triple clamps and the narrow horn on this clamp as you noted is unique to bikes up to around frame 2000 or so.
I see when you had the sand blasting carried out you did not remove the steering lock and steering lock cover. This cover is unique to the K0/Sandcast bikes so you will need to source another. I am not sure what is under this plastic cover on this particular lower fork clamp or if the clamp itself is a K0 one. Later lower clamps had a welded ring on the lock housing to offer better lock security.
The cam cradles are not early Sandcast cradles and from my observations were not correctly installed on the head ie: with the cut sections facing outwards rather than inwards. I could well be wrong as looking at pictures it is a difficult thing to say with certainty. These cradles are date coded so find the ink stamp codes and you will find the year of manufacture.
The cut out sections have been done to the end of the rocker shaft stands to clear the rocker cover top. The type 3 rocker cover has depressions to clear these later camshaft cradles. The later camshaft cradles were made with wider and thicker rocker shaft posts than earlier types Your engine would have had the earlier and narrower posts which commonly cracked due to overload of the engine (high revving)
In Marks restoration there is specific reference to number 97's cam cradles and he clearly shows these narrow post cam cradles and also documents with pictures a cracked post
The camshafts used in Sandcasts all have an R code cast into the centre section of the shaft. These codes are R1 to R4. In later models these R codes go higher and I've seen R7 camshaft codes on much later die cast engines. I believe your shaft should be R2 or R3 I can't remember what should be what or what frame numbers should have what. My thoughts are that the cam profiles were changed to lessen the stresses on the rocker gear. I believe the lobe ramp angles and the valve spring pressures were adjusted to reduce pressure on the rocker gear but I have no evidence to back this up.
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
All Sandcast engines have sandcast cylinders and heads.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thank you for the welcome info.

I hope I can rescue the steering lock cover but it is metal not plastic anyway.

Any thoughts on the frame gusset and those holes?
I intended to bring the frame parts to the painter next days.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:40:34 am by Sgt.Pinback »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
someone probably drilled those holes in the gusset for a luggage rack. they should not be there.

the steering lock cover should be black plastic, original was not a metal cover.  Yamiya makes a good repro, includes the screw and the washer.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thanks, Steve. Will look for those and have the holes welded.

Kerry, cam is R4.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks to be plastic in the photo Can you remove the cover and post a photo of the lock housing.
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Kerry, cam is R4.
Hmmm! Wrong cam IMHO.  Where are you Mr Rushton 🚔🚁🚤🛰🤔
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Looks to be plastic in the photo Can you remove the cover and post a photo of the lock housing.

Aargghh.....It's on the way to the painter.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Gentlemen, could you please have a look at this head.

I am still not familiar with all the details but I assume it is a correct SC head that I could get

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
And here is a cylinder that I could get from the same gentleman.

The one on the left side. Is this the rough sandcast version?

4pots1969

• View Profile

Aargghh.....It's on the way to the painter.

Uli, I think you want to go too fast in the work...

4pots1969

• View Profile

I am still not familiar with all the details but I assume it is a correct SC head that I could get

I have informed you for your question on the head with pictures, and you have not even responded to my post... ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:12:08 am by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Head is OK but I cannot see enough of cylinder to verify. The other head you gave pictured is also OK

Gerard, your post has vanished. I did see the post but it is now not there.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile

I have informed you for your question on the head with pictures, and you have not even responded to my post... ??? ???

I have seen it and it was very helpful. Sorry I didn't answer.

Can you have a look on that head I may buy? Merci en advance!