Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bringing 1983 / 2005 back to live

4pots1969

• View Profile
Gentlemen, could you please have a look at this head.

I am still not familiar with all the details but I assume it is a correct SC head that I could get
Head is OK but I cannot see enough of cylinder to verify. The other head you gave pictured is also OK

Gerard, your post has vanished. I did see the post but it is now not there.

Yes sorry... dear KP, no Uli answer so I deleted ...
When I break my head to help, I have to have answers in return ... But sometimes I'm too impulsive !!

4pots1969

• View Profile
And here is a cylinder that I could get from the same gentleman.

The one on the left side. Is this the rough sandcast version?

Yes, it's good it's the raw version of sandcast until the beginning of the K1 but you have to make more pictures ...

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thanks Gerard.

Actually, that cylinder has 64mm bore and a brocken barrel.
Nevertheless, I just agreed with the gentleman and bought this one together with the head. He will send me the other head hardware as well so hopefully I will get the correct cam holders. Letīs see when its here.
Will ask him for a R1-R3 cam as well.

Gerard, I try to answer to all replies. Sorry again that I forgot just your post with head pics.

Maybe you can post them again because they are very helpfull.

Regarding those dimples: I wonder why the first version had them (according to your post) , next (the version my bike came with) donīt have them and K1 onwards have them again.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:11:44 am by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Here again the head I took of #1983.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:10:22 am by Sgt.Pinback »

4pots1969

• View Profile
For your cylinder 64 mm it does not matter because you can heat the shirts with a heat gun and tap gently to extract...

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:39:57 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
For your cylinder 64 mm it does not matter because you can heat the shirts with a heat gun and tap gently to extract...

Yes.
Will have to buy barrels, pistons and rings.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:03:15 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Got parcel today.

Cylinder, head, cam and cam holders.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Are K0/sandcast rockers different to later ones?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes. The rear intake rocker shaft casting is cast wider on later engines. Same thickness as the front. This is why the rocker cover off later engines (type 3) is taller and has indents cast into the inner surface in 4 places along the shaft axis.
If you go to Marks restoration he has a good picture of the early type with crack Mark had his repaired to keep it original. I'm unsure when the modification to this rocker shaft/ camshaft cradle was changed It may be mid production???
I see an R1 camshaft. I'm thinking the 18XX engines should have an R2 or R3, but then, does it matter. ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thanks again for the info.

I will ask that gentleman if he still has the rockers and pins that came with that head/cam.

Regarding cam: I will compare the shape R1 to R4 to R7 soon or is this done already?

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Does anybody have a pic that shows the difference in the rocker to later models?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

If you go to Marks restoration he has a good picture of the early type with crack Mark had his repaired to keep it original. I'm unsure when the modification to this rocker shaft/ camshaft cradle was changed It may be mid production???
Uli, As I said you need to look at Marks restoration for the answer. You must do some of your own research. See page 33 of his restoration thread and here is a picture from that page
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,366.480.html
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Kerry, I know the rocker holders are different and don't have the holes that later (beginning K2?) have.
I thought you mentioned the rockers themself?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK My bad. The rocker cradle themselves as pictured are cast narrower at the four ends where the shafts slide through. As far as I know the rocker arms themselves didn't alter throughout Sandcast production. You will see in Marks restoration photo (attached) where one of these cracked which was the reason the casting was changed to the later type
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Ah OK now I got it (and understud what cradle means). Thanks for explanation.

I will take those that were in the bike.