Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bringing 1983 / 2005 back to live

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thank you.

Does anybody have detail pics of the 2 hole replica cases?
I don't have any pics but I've compared the Yamiya repop to an original and it is a near perfect copy
You can use the Yamiya top and mate it with a genuine bottom which is similar to having a Heineken with lemonade. 🙃
Truth is the Yamiya 2 hole is incorrect for your Frame number.  There are 2 different two hole air boxes. The no indent type same as the Yamiya and the later version with indents which would be what was fitted to your bike, so really a 2 hole incorrect type or a 3 hole is academic IMHO
Looking good where you're at with the rebuild👍
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thank you.

Does anybody have detail pics of the 2 hole replica cases?
I don't have any pics but I've compared the Yamiya repop to an original and it is a near perfect copy
You can use the Yamiya top and mate it with a genuine bottom which is similar to having a Heineken with lemonade. 🙃
Truth is the Yamiya 2 hole is incorrect for your Frame number.  There are 2 different two hole air boxes. The no indent type same as the Yamiya and the later version with indents which would be what was fitted to your bike, so really a 2 hole incorrect type or a 3 hole is academic IMHO
Looking good where you're at with the rebuild👍

Thats the dilema.  Not correct repro or not correct genuine part.

Was the 3 hole case a service replacement by HONDA (as the oil filter case or carburetors?).

Are you sure the yamiya 2 hole repro top will fit a genuine bottom?
I tried to so so with a 3 hole repro top and it does not fit a genuine bottom. Its too small.

The yamiya repro bottom part is missing the backside "flap" (?) and on the front side its different too:

upper: repro
lower: genuine

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
...and more obvious the back side:

Did they forgot this intake  ???

Another question concerning the air filter case:

according to parts list, a modification came with  # 1019210

What was this?

and - sorry to ask - :

I know its in the 88 distinction list, but how was the cutoff number # 4006 for 2/3 hole VIN been identified?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:18:15 am by Sgt.Pinback »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Alas, I cannot answer. I am sure I have tried a 2 hole top with a 3 hole bottom and they fit. The internal spacer fits both early and late so I can't see why they mate up. As for the Yamiya box, I haven't compared measurements with an original. Can anyone shed light on this
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
According to my parts list, there are two different airbox lower halves. 17231-300-040 is for America, England and Australia whilst 17231-300-620 is for France, Germany, Holland. I believe the difference is the intake as you have observed.

The problem I have experienced with three hole upper and original lowers not mating correctly has been with the LPM replica airbox as supplied by David Silver Spares. The Yamiya airboxes are undoubtedly more accurate.

Chris R.

Chris R.
302/338

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thanks very much!! Great info.

If so I think I can go for a 2 hole yamiya box complete.
It's an US bike so no need for a "German" bottom case.

@Gerard,
what do your French SC lower air box look like?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:46:56 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Chris is always good for answering this type of question and he has done well 😊

I think going with a Yamiya airbox is a good call but whichever way is no biggie. 2 hole air boxes do come up from time to time but always at a price. You really only need the top so if a top came up you would be in clover.
I have a few new Yamiya air boxes so I can sell you one at a discount over Yamiya unless you are going for a painted one. I originally bought a painted airbox but was unhappy with the finish so sent it back. Probably a one off but I've never liked Yamiya paint finish or striping
Let me know and I'll unpack
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:20:57 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Kerry,
Great.

I will take upper and lower case and send them to Meno so it will match to the rest of the paint set.
Please check  shipping and send me a PN.

BTW: need 2 hole top mounting hardware as well

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile

and more original..

Agree if US lower cases didn't have that hood.

I didn't knew that. So thanks to you to start discussing that!

4pots1969

• View Profile
The air box did not have the hood, this hood was then added to France, after E-102XXXX it seems to me...???
It is just a part added and glued and not molded in a single part like the one that is on the front.
My air box has no hood behind.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:20:07 pm by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Looks like your Triple Tree unicorn is in shiny black?? There it is not correct... normally it should be in satin black...    It is better to start from a matte black to obtain a satin black.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:35:47 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
The air box did not have the hood, this hood was then added to France, after E-102XXXX it seems to me...???
It is just a part added and glued and not molded in a single part like the one that is on the front.
My air box has no hood behind.

Maybe its 19210 as per parts book.

So do US diecast after 19210 have that intake?

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Looks like your Triple Tree unicorn is in shiny black?? There it is not correct... normally it should be in satin black...    It is better to start from a matte black to obtain a satin black.

Yes, it's painted in same color as frame etc in satin gloss black (RAL 9005).

Should  it be less shiny as frame?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:17:50 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

benjixt

• View Profile