Honda CB750 Sandcast

David Silver Museum Collection Visit ... never seen a points cover with SOHC

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I went to David Silver Collection  Museum launch on Saturday with my wife.  Well worth a visit  IMHO and he told me  that if groups go from a club, he will let the group in for free. First group is going to be Vincent Owners Club!

I know a very nice, reasonably priced,  'Bed & Breakfast' not too far away from Leiston in Suffolk and it's 'biker friendly' as the couple who own it used to build and sponsor CB350K twin classic racers.

Pics on the bikes of main interest to me in my Dropbox.. Needs  a 'proper' CB500K0 (sorry early VIN CB500) IMHO

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25eh7ojtkadjhgl/AAChW3p3BglmRXtOAMf8P1VAa?dl=0

Sandcast is 'VIN 750'. He did have a 3k miler from Mecum but he chose this one instead for his museum.

Intrigued by SOHC imprint on sandcast VIN750 points cover, or were they like that on early sandcasts?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:56:31 pm by ashimotok0 »

DW69K0

• View Profile
I have never seen one on a stock Honda CB750, but I know Z1 parts sells them. I assume it is an aftermarket part, but don't know for sure.

Here is the link to ZI that shows the SOHC points cover.
DW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1969-78-CB750K-CB750F-CB750A-Engine-Case-Points-Cover-/162098768313?hash=item25bdd6e9b9:g:pgcAAOxydgZTKIvM&vxp=mtr

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I have never seen one on a stock Honda CB750, but I know Z1 parts sells them. I assume it is an aftermarket part, but don't know for sure.

Here is the link to ZI that shows the SOHC points cover.
DW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1969-78-CB750K-CB750F-CB750A-Engine-Case-Points-Cover-/162098768313?hash=item25bdd6e9b9:g:pgcAAOxydgZTKIvM&vxp=mtr

Yes pretty sure it's aftermarket from Z1 too from comments on SOHC.co.uk. The Mecum bike was a 3k miler, totally untouched from new, from a private museum collection but he sold that on in favour of VIN 750.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
IMHO not a museum but a more or less  loveless lineup of an impressive collection.
Too many bikes in too little space.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

ashimotok0

• View Profile
IMHO not a museum but a more or less  loveless lineup of an impressive collection.
Too many bikes in too little space.

Think that's a bit harsh ... you are probably correct in a sense but where else, other than going to Japan, will you find a collection like that ?
Never mind when I get my 8 bikes restored  you can come and see them for free, plus free beer !  :)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Sometimes less is more.

I have another understanding of a museum.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:41:20 am by Sgt.Pinback »

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Sometimes less is more.

I have another understanding of a museum.

That picture is nothing like the layout actually on display. It looks like the stock of bikes before they were displayed properly Uli

http://www.davidsilverhondacollection.co.uk/gallery
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:23:09 pm by ashimotok0 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
He seems to have everything from the 70th and 80th (even a CX650TURBO. .... :)

Anything missing?

ashimotok0

• View Profile
He seems to have everything from the 70th and 80th (even a CX650TURBO. .... :)

Anything missing?

Yes a Decent CB500/4 1st year & CD175A sloper

patriotcommercial

• View Profile
There is member of this forum who I know that lives in the Dakotas, he has over 650 restored vintage Japanese bikes.  I think he has 4 Sandcasts, and several dozen CB 750 s.  he plans to open a museum soon, sit tight, the collection is beyond description !

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
There is member of this forum who I know that lives in the Dakotas, he has over 650 restored vintage Japanese bikes.  I think he has 4 Sandcasts, and several dozen CB 750 s.  he plans to open a museum soon, sit tight, the collection is beyond description !

Based on my experience, as i have known for decades, quite a number of various motorcycle models are not so much "rare" or even "uncommon" as they are collected en masse or for that matter, hoarded.  Nothing wrong with that, don't take me wrong, just more hoarded than less rare.  We are continually seeing an increasing number of sandcast CB750's come to light. 

The "Big 4" were making so many motorcycles in the early 80's Harley Davidson filed a lawsuit and went to the U.S. Senate to stop Japanese motorcycle manufacturer's from flooding the market.  http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa032.html