Honda CB750 Sandcast

No stamped "Made in Japan" ignition points covers

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
fwiw, here is a slightly enlarged picture of 2110 as pictured in April 1969 British magazine "Motorcycle Sport."  and a close up of the points and clutch covers.  Does anyone believe stamping "MIJ" is present on any pictures i have posted?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fwiw, here is picture of clutch coder from 2113, "7-hole."  oops.  looks like i just posted same pic as Gerard posted earlier....  my apologies!
My friend from Colorado, you never cease to amaze us. I hope the readers of this site appreciate how much you bring to the sandcast forum  ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Early German diecast in a 12.000km road test.

Uli, very interesting pic of early die cast which appears NOT to have stamped  "MIJ" points cover...?

Yes.

But that’s confusing, isn’t it?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:47:40 pm by Steve Swan »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks like we all have a photo of that cover. You have to forgive me as I'm getting old and forgetful. Here's a photo of the restored 2113 showing the points cover in question. If you deconstruct this photo using photoshop, you will probably see a made in japan imprint on the cover but given this could have been changed, it could not be considered proof of anything as far as 2113 is concerned
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Looks like we all have a photo of that cover. You have to forgive me as I'm getting old and forgetful. Here's a photo of the restored 2113 showing the points cover in question. If you deconstruct this photo using photoshop, you will probably see a made in japan imprint on the cover but given this could have been changed, it could not be considered proof of anything as far as 2113 is concerned

Vic told me 2113 was missing it's points cover when he bought the bike from Kevin Dodge, and he fitted a nos "MIJ" cover.  and all the pics Kevin Dodge sent me in 2006 when he discovered 2113, none of those pics show a points cover.  so, it is probably safe to say the points cover that came with 2113 from the factory was lost.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Early German diecast in a 12.000km road test.

Uli, very interesting pic of early die cast which appears NOT to have stamped  "MIJ" points cover...?

Yes.

But that’s confusing, isn’t it?

Thanks for saying that Uli, i was so busy looking for pics of points covers on late p-p bikes.  Yes, indeed confusing!

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Early parts book 4-1969 shows cover without, later K0-K2 book with MIJ

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:55:14 am by Sgt.Pinback »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Early parts book 4-1969 shows cover without, later K0-K2 book with MIJ

Uli, thanks for posting that, i can't remember if it's been posted before and it is a little alarming for me to know that i've seen these pages in the different parts books and don't remember what i have seen...  age 66 i guess.......  Anyway, thanks again Uli for posting these pages from the parts books.

4pots1969

• View Profile
I had already posted it to defend my arguments at the time of the new topic "Point cover no stamped" Made in Japan "on the first series Sandcasts?"  But it's nice that Uli mentioned it again... ;)
Thanks you all for help in finding the truth...

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,908.0.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:34:32 am by 4pots1969 »

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2110 was also missing its original points cover when "found" back in the 1980's. Hopefully the new owner will try to get it "right"; time will tell!

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I had already posted it to defend my arguments at the time of the new topic "Point cover no stamped" Made in Japan "on the first series Sandcasts?"  But it's nice that Uli mentioned it again... ;)
Thanks you all for help in finding the truth...

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,908.0.html

Gerard, all i can say is "YOU ROCK!"  Thank you for sharing these wild wonderful findings with us, i am glad you are loyal to SOOC.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Steve, Here are the pictures from the March 1969 review of the unmarked cover MIJ...

You will notice on the third picture that the alternator cover is slightly rubbed below...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:41:07 am by 4pots1969 »