Honda CB750 Sandcast

No stamped "Made in Japan" ignition points covers

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yes, I have it but 9 pages, the best of all is this one with its 30 pages
on the 750...  This seller also has the n°1 Motorcyclisme if you want to save shipping costs...

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Moto-Cyclisme-N-10-Annee-1-15-novembre-1969-Special-Honda-750/163079600546?hash=item25f84d39a2:g:TV4AAOSwLsBZUYOw

And it is in this one that they speak of the typically French master cylinder with the porthole for the level of brake fluid abandoned because of the leaks...

Gerard, this is very interesting and amazing factory information (that i know you have shared before) but is always good to see gain, it seems some of these interesting things are a bit shocking to the senses, because they are so far apart from our ideas of what we think we know about  these early CB750's, so it takes a bit of time (at least for me) to fully drink in the meaning or significance or what have you of the information we are seeing.  i wonder if the reservoir with sight glass was mentioned in non-French Service Bulletins?  i have every service bulletin for the American market, and no mention of this unusual and special reservoir...  Was this reservoir only for French market?  or for the European market?  Many questions with only our suppositions..... or our guesses....  Have you ever seen one of these reservoirs with sight glass?

4pots1969

• View Profile
The magazine was bought... is it you Steve?
Without much possibility of being wrong, I would say that it was designed by Honda only for the French market... And luckily that one of my friends Patrick in France (aureliaB20 on the forum) discovered by chance this famous fact sheet because otherwise we could never have explained it...
I have never seen one, because in my opinion they never crossed the door of the storage shed of the importer "Honda France".

If you want, I can have you translate word for word the text of the Service bulletin n° 37 in English...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:45:05 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The magazine was bought... is it you Steve?
Without much possibility of being wrong, I would say that it was designed by Honda only for the French market... And luckily that one of my friends Patrick in France (aureliaB20 on the forum) discovered by chance this famous fact sheet because otherwise we could never have explained it...
I have never seen one, because in my opinion they never crossed the door of the storage shed of the importer "Honda France".

If you want, I can have you translate word for word the text of the Service bulletin n° 37 in English...

Hello Gerard, yes i purchased !  Thank you for your generous offer to translate the Service Bulletin, before i say YES! i am wondering if France received other Service Bulletins that are different than USA?

ashimotok0

• View Profile
The man with the white coat and mustache on the 1969 Motorcycle Mechanics magazine cover and also on the cover of the 1969 Motorcycle Sport was Arthur Carter. He was Honda UK's Service Manager then. The holy grail for me would be a video clip from the BBC TV programme  from early 1969 called 'Wheelbase', which featured one of the two p.p bikes and had Lord Denbigh as a guest (He was of course the 1st owner of the gold bike). From my 'research' the bike was, I believe, ridden and presented on the programme by  Alf Briggs,  who ran Honda UK's  Service Dept in Nottingham UK  and the two p.p.carbs I have, I have since found came from Alf's estate, when he passed away in his 90's.

4pots1969

• View Profile
I made a comparison photo between the points cover p-p and the points cover later of the 1970s and the 2000s.... We can already notice a slightly larger diameter, and a greater depth or height because the 1970 covers pass underneath... The color of the anti-vibratory material is also different from the 69.
I replaced the cork gasket with a new gasket because it was broken, and I had to paste it in several times to be able to shoot because the diameter was too small...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:57:25 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Early German diecast in a 12.000km road test.

Uli ;) It's not a Diecast engine but a Sandcast engine...

The casting spur on a Sandcast engine is always placed or it is surrounded in green, while on a diecast engine the casting spur is at the spot indicated by the red arrow...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:10:47 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Good eye, Gerard. I will search for that issue and post more pics of that 12.000km test
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)