Honda CB750 Sandcast

Opinions Please

kp · 24 · 3841

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a low number Sandcast that is very original but will need a restoration due to living in a humid and less than dry environment. The frame has virtually no paint in places and the chrome and alloy is very weathered. So trying to keep this motorcycle original is just not really an option
Anyway, the original color is candy blue/green. I was actually thinking of changing it to Candy Ruby Red given I have to do a repaint. Yes I am a purist but have never had a problem with restorers opting to change the color. Nevertheless if it is changed to red it will not be the same color clothes it came with
From the newest member to the oldest member, please feel free to give me your opinion
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
Sometimes it's good to have a tough choices to make.  IMO go with original color.

danyo

• View Profile
Another vote for original color. Blue - green is beautiful.

fire ball bike

• View Profile
I think if I knew that candy blue green was the original color I would go back with that both colors are really pretty KP if I may ask why are you wanting to change colors

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think if I knew that candy blue green was the original color I would go back with that both colors are really pretty KP if I may ask why are you wanting to change colors
I just prefer red as a color but I have this dilemma of keeping the originality. If I didn't know the color I'd default to red but alas, it's blue/green
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
back in the day when i fot into things sandcast, my 4363 was b-g as i wanted a b-g bike cuz i had a b-g 750 when i was a kid  when i stumbled into 232, i painted it red knowing full well it was originally b-g.  for me, b-g is  the  1969 CB750 color, not only cuz i had one new in '69, but because that's the color Honda showed in most if not all their fold out ads in mags of the day.  frankly, no prejudice here, for me, having a red bike is red is red is red.  i get where red is flashy compared to b-g. no doubt. But, the b-g shifts hues in different shades of light and i am partial to green because green's my fave-o-rite colour.  to me, if you know the bike was b-g from factory, it needs to stay b-g.  but of course i screwed the pooch when i made 232 red and it was b-g from factory.  now that i have only 1 sandcast, i have actually thought several times of having mine repainted b-g.  doubt i ever will.  all i know for sure is i wish mine wasn't red.  maybe somebody out there would trade their b-g paintwork for my red paintwork.....  but then, my side covers and air box are repro....  i'm stuck with red....  dammit.  i want 232 to be Candy Tone Blue-Green.  DAMMIT.  thanks for bringing up a sensitive spot KP, you bugger.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I just prefer red as a color but I have this dilemma of keeping the originality. If I didn't know the color I'd default to red but alas, it's blue/green

so lets trade body work.  you can have my red, you give me your b-g.  EH, kimosabbie?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

DW69K0

• View Profile
KP,
Keep it the original color and document the fact that it came from the factory in B-G skins with photos. If when lining all your Sandy's up, you find you have an odd number of matching colours, buy another to even out the stable.
One must have balance in their life!
DW

markb

• View Profile
I had similar thoughts about #97. Like Steve I was partial to the B-G color. It was obvious from the underside of tank that the original color was red. In the end I decided it should be restored to the original red color, a decision I don't regret. Eventually I hope to have 1553 restored which was and will be B-G. Hope that helps.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

4pots1969

• View Profile
Purism has its limits... She came out of the factory in blue but she could very well have come out of the factory in red, so if you want to change the color blue by red, then you should not hesitate a single second, knowing that it is not irreversible and that you can always go back if you later feel remorse...

The most important thing is that you like it in red to you, and especially do not think that you betray her, but just think that you will give her a second life...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:10:38 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Original Color.

Mine was red so I had her repainted in red although I prefer b-g.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
KP,
Keep it the original color and document the fact that it came from the factory in B-G skins with photos. If when lining all your Sandy's up, you find you have an odd number of matching colours, buy another to even out the stable.
One must have balance in their life!
DW
:D :D :D :D :D :D I wish
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 I got lucky, while learning what my blue/green diecast was and slowly returning it to running then a more original appearance, I stumbled across a red sandcast. Now I have #3, a late K0 with some yucky brown paint and I don't care what color it was, It's going to be gold.
  To be honest, I bought the diecast for the Lester mags. I had no idea it was early or special.  I'll probably go back to correct wheels if I ever find them.