On eBay - Sandcast 5949/E6051

kp · 6 · 1164

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sheesh. Already up to $12k? Missing a lot of stuff. Too. Are we seeing sandcast fever at a new level?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
for perspective, back in 2001, when i was looking for a sandcast, there was a very very nice original paint  low 7xxx vin example with 8,000 miles that sold for $7,800 on ebay.  another one i remember probably around 2004, was a crusty pretty much complete non-running repainted brown example that sold for $4,200.  personally i believe sandcast values of all vins are rising, the thing i wonder about is how values will be affected when all the baby boomers are dead.  i would imagine there will always be an interest by any age group for any sandcast, but i don't know there will be the fervent desire or ability by age groups following us to keep sandcast values as they are...

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, I think a lot of collectors are asking themselves about the longevity of the sandcast as a collectible motorbike. I would argue that a bike's "collectibility" is indeed at first determined by those who remember them. The next stage comes down to their cultural and historical significance. For example, the pre-war American classics were collected in the 50s, 60s and 70s fairly cheaply by people who remember them, but, because they had massive cultural and historical significance, they were valued beyond the first wave of collectors.

I do think that sandcasts and K0 diecasts will have longevity in the collector world. How could the "motorcycle of the century" not be valued in the next 50 years?  ;D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Sam, you make some good points; the production of the CB750 was as sentinel a moment in contemporary motorcycle history as Gottlieb Daimler's 1885 Reitwagen and the 1901 Indian single.  The Reitwagen introduced the motorcycle to the world stage.  The Indian was the first practical and reliable motorcycle to be produced in quantity for public use.

Prospect

• View Profile
It's being relisted.  Here is a note from the original listing.

On Apr-08-19 at 12:14:36 PDT, seller added the following information:

I am cancelling this sale and relishing to US sales only. Halan-11 ran this up to 12000 then threatened me and tried to bully me into taking less. I am stopping this auction and relisting
Vin 256/106