Honda CB750 Sandcast

Alloy Refinishing by Vic World

kp · 5 · 1137

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've seen an article written by Vic on how he refinishes his alloy pieces but I canna find it Anyone point me to the correct place Thanks
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
while this will not be helpful, a few years ago, i had an hour long conversation with Vic about his prep work before applying a coating.  the only thing that stands out from that convo was the substance he uses to clean the aluminium pores contaminated with polishing compound is noxious, and requires use of a good face mask and good ventilation.

DW69K0

• View Profile
KP,
Here is the link to the topic on Vic's process, but it only outlines the process vaguely in the photos.

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,1259.0.html

I doubt this is what you are looking for as not much detail in this article.
Best,
DW

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I wonder what the chemical is as getting polish residue out is a real issue especially with re-anodising
Thanks Dwayne. I think that's the article
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
The best I could find is Alodine 1000/1001 but it contains chromic acid which is pretty nasty stuff. http://www.henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldocs/oilgas/10400_LT-6267.pdf (please scroll down to Page 30 and further)

There is no suggestion that this is what Vic uses but I would imagine it would work very well.
Personally I just thoroughly cleaned the alloy  with acetone after 'satinizing' the surface  and then used Eastwood Diamond Clear ( as suggested by MarkB)
Not that this coating is ideal but  the best non-nasty method for the amateur.

I should have asked Vic about this  at the David Silver CB750 event last year when he looked at and positively identified,  the pair of PP carbs I had. I must say what a lovely decent 'chap' he is when you meet him face to face.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:56:40 am by ashimotok0 »