Honda CB750 Sandcast

Super bike -or- "superbike" ????

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The CB750 four cylinder motorcycle engendered more excited anticipation and garnered more prolonged international attention with it's March 6, 1969, debut than any other production motorcycle in history.

The 1969 CB750 had, in one package, the technological development, power, looks, reliability, handling and affordability NO other production motorcycle had yet equaled.

There was no production motorcycle like it until it's 1969 public introduction. The CB750's introduction was a sentinel event revealing a seminal motorcycle.

The aura and mystique of owning a production four cylinder motorcycle which was reliable and affordable, much less good looking and decent handling, was merely a wishful and as yet unfulfilled dream of many a motorcyclist prior to 1969.

This is one reason why, in 1967, Bob Hansen told Sochiro Honda, the "King of Motorcycles" must be a 750cc four cylinder, not a 650cc twin !

Every production transverse four cylinder motorcycle ever since 1969 has used the CB750 as a template of design improvement and excellence.

The only debateble exception to the preceeding statement would be the case of MV Agusta. Even with MV's production of the 750 America, circa 1975, with it's GP forefather, Quattro Cylindri, circa 1966, both these machines came after Honda's GP 4 cylinder bikes of the early 1960's. And, affordable, the 750 America was not - $6000 retail in 1975 !

I'm biased, no doubt. But, i am certain i have my facts straight about what a seminal motorcycle the CB750 was in 1969.

In the case of the 1969 CB750, debating or arguing the definition of whether or not the 1969 CB750 was a "superbike"-or- was " the first superbike," deserves no further discussion, because such discussion is just flat out non-appropros in the context of production motorcycles then available to the retail public in 1969. We had the Mach 1, the Rocket III, the Trident and the Commando - each was a "super bike" or "superbike" in their own right - in 1969.

It's not my intent readers from other websites and enthusiasts of other marques take offense at my remarks.

The term "superbike," as we think of it today, was not a term generally recognized nor commonly used until some time after the CB750's 1969 debut. (It could be argued the inception date of the term "superbike," was, if one goes by the CYCLE magazine's March 1970 cover - "The Big 7: Superbike Comparison Test.") At that time, the term "superbike" was little more than media hype to be further capitalized upon in the future in more than just the venue of magazine sales. Not surprisingly, the Suzuki Titan 500 was in this Big 7 test, alongside the 750 Rocket III, 750 Trident, 750 Commando, 750 Honda, 883 Sportster and the 500 Mach I ! Not surprising, because these 7 bikes, all small but exceedingly more quick and nimble in comparison to a H-D 74 and giant eaters having recently devoured the British twins and singles, little was left to give the conquerers other than the title "superbike." Today, 40 years later, we look at the Titan as an old heavy 2-stroke twin, not competetive in any fashion with the Honda 750 Four. But - these WERE the "superbikes" of the day ! And - all of them were truly super motorcycles or super bikes - in the day.

And, truly - from every decade, decades long before 1969 to present 2010, there is at least one motorcycle which could be deemed a super bike or a "superbike" - whatever a "superbike" is.

However - NO motorcycle before 1969 had what the CB750 offered in terms of technological development, power, reliability, appearance, handling and affordablity.

In the case of the 1969 CB750, arguing if it was a "superbike" or "the first superbike," is an irrelevant and meaningless exercise.

However - one can argue, by March 1969 standards, the CB750 was, without equal, one heck of a super four cylinder motorcycle or super four cylinder bike if you will. It was one heck of a super 750cc bike. Single overhead cam ! FOUR upswept mufflers ! Stunning night lighting of the gauges ! An Offenhauser exhaust note ! Acceleration like that of a spaceship ! HOT candy tone ruby red or COOL candy tone blue-green colors ! Louvered shark gill vented side covers ! GP pukka style flipped tail seat ! GP style single action flip open tank cap ! Gold and black tank striping !

It was nearly three years (1972) until the 1969 CB750 was surpassed in horsepower by the Z1. This fact alone, does not merit either machine to be a superbike or the first superbike. And yet, each could be deemed "superbikes" in their own year of introduction.

Hindsight and perspective always yield a different view of what we experienced at any given moment, which allows us the privilege of saying what we think is the "first" or a "real" 'superbike'.

I am reasonably certain, in 1969, many guys like us, were saying, "Wow, that Honda 750 four is really a super bike."

Most guys were not willing to pay the extra $500 for a British triple nor did they want to step back to a rice grinder or have their joints dislocated or their teeth shook out riding the Sportster. And, it was a sure bet, the triples and the Sportster were fully capable of leaving the rider stranded road side. The Commando was less so inclined to unreliablity, but required regular maintainence to remain in top fettle for optimum reliability.

With exception to the Titan, the Honda Four was the second least expensive of the 7 superbikes. If you had a good deealer, the price was $1495 out the door !

In 1969 - nothing else, absolutely nothing else - was like a Honda four cylinder. The magazines could say what they wanted, but i can tell you from being there, Honda fours sold out and stayed sold out, if you wanted a Honda four, you waited for one for weeks and even months. Comparatively speaking, guys were not buying the Brit bikes or the rice grinders like they were the Honda four. These machines, for sure Brit bikes, sat unsold on dealer's showroom floors, long after Honda 750's had sold out.

The Honda four stood in a class of it's own. Dick Mann ran away from all the other manufacturer's bikes at the 1970 Daytona 200 - 40 years ago ! What a super bike ! In 1969, anyone who knew anything, knew the CB750 was in a class of it's own; truly a super bike !

December 1970, Honda produced a CR750 kit for guys like us to convert our CB750's to CR spec. 90hp ! Lot's of light trick magnesium parts and more ! Super bike ? Hmm, how can one say, "Not?"

By 1972, the Z1's inception year, Honda had already set the bar three years earlier and all other manufacturers of four cylinder motorcycles would continue to follow what Honda started with one heck of a super bike. That year was 1969 !

Enough already !

PS - I was just looking at the Sales Tax Statement for 4779, dated 10-6-1969. My Dad wrote on the back side of the statement, "1970 750 Honda, $1500 Cost, $660 BSA Trade In, $840 Balance Paid Cash."

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve, I really enjoyed reading that. KP   :)
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So good did I enjoy it, I read it again.   ;D
Yabba Dabba KP

madjack4

• View Profile
Hi cris im 10 miles from squires maybe we can meet there and see if we can sort a venue u can contact me on 07778807739 thanks Rob Nicholson

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I enjoyed the read too Thanks Steve, CB750 SUPERBIKES were in short supply here in Oz too, from what i can make out and have been told from a long time employee of Honda Australia there were only two shipments of sandcast CB750's that came to Oz, the first was only 4 bikes, these were not sold straight away and travelled the dealer circuit so they could take orders and were tested by the various cycle mags of the day. and the second Shippment was only seven or so. There are many more that have been brought to Oz since... I once had a one owner Diecast K0 that was about 150 into the Diecast run. The original owner said at the time in late 1969 you could not buy a CB750 for love nor money and an enterprising Dealer in Melbourne was air freighting unsold CB750's in from snow bound France Xmas 1969 and the bike i had was one of them with a KPH speedo and a bad attitude too Hi Hi... He said he was happy with his purchase but he was still embarased at what he had paid for it and he would not tell me how much that was.. I didnt Get to buy a new CB750 till July 1971 a Green K1... I traded my 1970 T120R in on K1 and still remember the salesman telling me after he had taken my Triumph for a "test ride" it had no brakes? i didnt understand what he was on about as they seemed fine to me.
I also remember riding away from Scotts Honda dealership thinking wow what had i done? i felt like i was sitting on top of a double decker bus and how the hell could i get it to go around a corner? But WOW what a great sound....and GO You bet....TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

mcreviver

• View Profile
In the summer of 1969 I was in the Mekong Delta and had been receiving Cycle World magazines, when I first saw the CB-750. I did not take an R&R so I could save up my money to buy a new one when (and IF) I returned home. I dodged enough rocket and mortar rounds and left the country at the end of October. I arrived at my local airport at noon on the 30th. I went home, greeted my Mom and settled down for a good soak in the bath tub. I noticed a heck of a brown ring when I stepped out and discovered my waist up tan was mostly gone. I got in my 64 Valiant and drove the 8 miles to the Honda dealership where I had previously purchased a 64 C-110 and later a 65 CA-77 Dream. There was a red CB-750 on the showroom floor so I made the deal and traded a well used Dream for a new 4 banger that truly was a dream compared to the evil handling 305. I used almost all the money I had managed to save from 12 months overseas but I knew I still had a year and a half of guaranteed employment in uniform. It was a nice warm fall day when I headed home with the new bike but on November 1st we had snow flurries which meant a few more bucks were spent on a windshield. Serial number 1001352 and I spent the next ten years together and accumulated 35,000 miles. I weighed 135 pounds when I left for the war and lost 20 pounds while there. Can you imagine a 115 pound rider with 68 untamed horses at his command?
My next duty station was Fort Knox, KY, so I rented a U-Haul and trailered the bike in a snow storm for 10 hours.
If you want more details of my experiences, let me know and I'll post them here.
Ron Collins, PA

donzie

• View Profile
Ron keep talking man you are a hero here. I want to hear all you have to say about your experience in "hell" & about your trusty steed.
THANK YOU for what you did back then
DONZIE

mcreviver

• View Profile
I repaired the engines in UH-1H, AH-1G and OH-6A helicopters for B Troop, 7th Squadron, 1st Air Cavalry. I saw our ships shot up, shot down and rolled into a ball. One of our Huey's rescued a Green Beret Captain who had been held for 5 years in the Delta by the Viet Cong.
You can read his story here:http://taskforceomegainc.org/r077.html. He later wrote a book called "Five Years to Freedom." I have a copy. He fooled the V.C. into thinking he was a civilian working for the Army as an engineer until some of the Anti-War groups in this country treasonously supplied the correct information to the North Vietnamese. Thank you Jane Fonda and other creeps. Nick Rowe stayed in the military and went on to train others in counter insurgency techniques both at home and in Panama and the Philippines. He was killed in an attack on the car he was riding in by a Comunist New Peoples Army shooter. The North Vietnamese apparently held a grudge against him for quite a few years. I wonder how much they paid to have him killed. But hey, this is a motorcycle board. If you want to see more about my unit actions during the war go here: http://www.sandersusa.com/

mcreviver

• View Profile
I arrived at Ft Knox with the CB750 just after Christmas 1969. I found a place to store it off post in the yard of a married serviceman who lived outside the base. As soon as the weather warmed up I took it on post and took some ofther G.I.s for rides. On the first time two up I was flying down a two lane road leading to a state park along the Ohio River when I crested a small rise. On the other side the road hooked left and I wasn't prepared for the turn at the speed I was carrying. I knew better than to grab the brakes and just leaned until the rear footpeg scraped. I managed to keep my underwear clean, but not by much. When we got back to the barracks, my passenger told someone else that "He really knows how to ride." If he only knew..
A few weeks later I was cruising around the burger stand across from the entrance to Cherokee Park near Louisville when I noticed a car full of young girls. One stuck her head out the window and asked me to take her for a ride. I pulled over and when she got out of the back seat, I could see she was a real chain stretcher. I told her I just got the bike and wasn't really confident enough to haul a plus size yet. I later found another car full of better proportioned young ladies who has been drinking. Instead of having someone puking on my back I settled for a rain check and an address. Three of the girls shared an apartment on the east side of Louisville. They all had boyfriends but one was out of town so I substituted.
A lot of the G.I.s were buying performance cars like GTX 440 Magnums, 454 Chevelles, Road Runners and Firebird and Camaros. They would all brag about how fast their cars were and I would ask them if they wanted to race. They saw me driving a 64 Valiant four door and thought I was crazy until I showed up on a new CB750. They knew they couldn't beat a 12.6 second quarter mile at 112 that the advertising brochure claimed. So I didn't get any takers.
A few rides stick out in my mind as memorable, especially the one at night with 190 pound Bobby Lisles of St Louis on the back. Earlier that day, I went off post to go for a ride and found my back tire flat. Since it was parked in the open I assumed that some bastard had let the air out just to piss me off. I pushed it a block to the nearest air pump, filled the rear tire and rode a bit that afternoon. Around dark Bob and I headed for Louisville. We turned right at Pleasure Ridge Park off the Dixie Die-way and went about a mile or so when the rear tire let go with a bang. I knew what happened right away and proceeded to fight to keep control, sawing the handlebars left and right just trying to keep the bike from swapping ends. We got stopped, without daring to touch the brakes, on the left berm, next to a drainage ditch about five feet deep. Luckily, there was no traffic coming the other way when it happened or I would not be writing this. We parked the bike and notified the property owner that it would be staying there until the next day when I would return to fix it. All Bobby could say was, "Holy Jesus." He knew how lucky we were. We started walking back to the base which was about 15 miles away. When we were walking past a home with hedges out near the main road we heard a female voice ask if we needed a ride. We said we were and she volunteeried to help. I thought she was going to drive us but no, she had other plans. She didn't stick her thumb out for more than four cars before one pulled over thinking they were going to get lucky. She convinced the soldiers in the car that they would be doing her a big favor if she would haul her two friends back to the base.
The next day I retrieved the rear wheel assembly and tore it apart to find a 10 inch rip in the tube. Tubeless tires/wheels are the second greatest innovation to motorcycling, disc brakes are the first.

mcreviver

• View Profile
Do any of you remember the recall they did on the 750 concerning the throttle cables? That saved me some money and some points. There is a small town SW of FT. Knox that has a railroad track running through it. There is a drop off on one side, next to a large building. I used to jump the tracks by hitting the throttle on the way up the ramp side. I was mid air one time and a cop was sitting behind the building. Apparently I wasn't the first guy who had tried it. Anyway, he pulled me over and I furnished the required documents, took the paperwork he had given me and waited until my date with the court system. In the meantime I got the mail forwarded to me from my home in PA about this recall on the throttles due to the possibility of sticking with a potential loss of control of the motorcycle. There were IBM punch cards in the envelope that you were supposed to take to the dealer when you got it fixed. Are you thinking what I'm thinking??? When my court date came around I took the letter and cards with me to show the judge. As luck would have it the arresting officer was out on a road block and could not attend the hearing. I told the judge about the recall and said the bike sometimes wouldn't slow down when you rolled the throttle off. He bought my story and lamented the fact that he couldn't talk to the officer about it and let me go. I assured him the bike was to much for me and that I planned to get rid of it. Ron 1, LEOs Zero.

mcreviver

• View Profile
Another time, I wondered what the CB would sound like without the baffles. The bolts securing them were spot welded in one place so it was fairly easy to break the weld and pull them out. Being young and not worried about my hearing off I went to Elizabethtown, thinking the place must have some cute Bettys living there. I turned off the highway towards a residential area and heard a siren and a quick look in the left mirros showed the lights that go with it. I pulled over and was relieved to find out the police officer just wanted a good look at the new model he hadn't seen yet. Phew, that was a load off. Then he asked me how fast it would go.......................duh, what would you say in that situation????? I played dumb and told him I didn't know since it wasn't all broken in yet and I hadn't really opened it up.
Ron 2, LEOs Zero.

mcreviver

• View Profile
One more? Okay. A buddy got a Suzuki X-6 Hustler 250CC Six speed. They would go over 100 mph so he didn't have any trouble keeping up. I don't remember where we were exactly but we were in the right place at the wrong time. On a downhill I saw the road was long, flat and straight out ahead of us so I went WFO and he followed suit. I must have been near terminal velocity and was about to roll out of the throttle when I heard that familiar whine of a siren, or was it that 440 Interceptor V-8? Damn, another Oh Sh*t moment. "Do you guys know how fast you were going?" "Duh, no...why don't you tell us?" "Wel, you were going about 80." "Yeah I guess we were at that." I told the officer that the place looked desolate enough for a little fun and he told us that he was just coming out of his own driveway after having lunch. What are the odds of that? Ron 2, LEOs 1. Don't ever race a Mopar 440. They will get you even if you have a head start. I should have asked him if he knew how fast HE was going. I would have liked to have known. I figure he had to go 140 to catch up in a such a short distance from a dead stop.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Ron,

Do you still ride ? You should find a sandcast or a K0 and join the club ! Wonderful stories ! Do you have pictures you can post ?

The Viet Nam era. What a period in American history to live through........ I was a farm boy in N.E. Nebraska. I saw Robert Kennedy, close up, campaigning and shaking hands from a hay rack in hometown Hartington, Nebraska. My cousin from L.A., was a Marine in Viet Nam, 67-68, survived Tet to come home. My home town of 1200, we lost a high school classmate, an upper classman and and my best friend's cousin. My lottery number was 242, the lottery made it to 180 something. Glad i did not go, respect those who went and dearly remember those who did not return home - Jack Hayes, Terry Andresen and Jerry Lentz.

mcreviver

• View Profile
I just turned 62 and still ride. I got a used 2000 ST100 with 19k on it in 2002. It will be my last bike. I worked as a tech in two different Honda shops in the period from 1979 to 1985. I traded the 69 750 in 1978 for a new CX500. I really liked that bike and once rode it 15 of the 25 miles to work without touching the handlebars.
I have many mixed feelings about the war in Vietnam. Yes, I think we were right to try to stop the spread of communism and wrong to quit when we had them on the ropes. Damn Henry Kissinger, Walter Cronkite, the protesters and the chicken shits who ran to Canada. The ones who really came out on the short end of the stick is the people of South Vietnam. Especially the ones who worked for us on the bases. After April 1975, they either had to disappear or be killed, according to someone who was there in the ARVN. Thanks to those on this board who respect Veterans of ALL wars. Your kind words are appreciated.