Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast #538 Restoration Timelapse

Sam · 18 · 4004

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

I bought sandcast #538 form the original owner. It was parked more than 30 years ago, so it was a great candidate for a full restoration. Last time I restored a sandcast (#410), I decided to take a unique picture of it. You can read about that bike here. For #538, I decided to film the entire restoration! It worked out to almost 40 hours of timelapse footage! Perhaps I'll post longer timelapse cuts if people are interested, but for now, here is the five minute version (make sure you have the sound on!):

Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

danyo

• View Profile

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes indeed! An excellent watch Sam Well done
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great job and a very nice bike Sam. I can't wait to see what you're going to do with the site.  :)
[size=

Ferenz62

• View Profile
Hi Sam,

great video..., I always knew it is that easy to do  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

enjoy your fantastic sandcast resto and have perfect rides with her.

Your friend from Germany,
Tom.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi everyone!

I bought sandcast #538 form the original owner. It was parked more than 30 years ago, so it was a great candidate for a full restoration. Last time I restored a sandcast (#410), I decided to take a unique picture of it. You can read about that bike here. For #538, I decided to film the entire restoration! It worked out to almost 40 hours of timelapse footage! Perhaps I'll post longer timelapse cuts if people are interested, but for now, here is the five minute version (make sure you have the sound on!):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0MPCcx6Q3AQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Superb video, Sam!  I love the order in which you carried our the reassembly!

markb

• View Profile
Wow, that is incredible. I assume that was you doing all the work. Upholstery, wheel lacing, painting, carbs. :o You are one talented guy!  ;)
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

4pots1969

• View Profile
My God.... You are incredibly talented as usual !!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:34:49 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, I did all the work except for the metal plating....havent figured out how to do that in my tiny garage yet!  ;D

I actually painted the tank six times before I was happy with it. Not joking! I've painted a lot of bikes, but I wanted to get this one as close to perfect as I could. One issue that I was determined to solve was candy consistency around the filler neck. Because you must be very careful with how many passes of your candy you use, it is almost impossible to get an even amount of candy paint around sharp angles like the filler neck. The result that you will see on many restorations is that the candy either gets lighter at the filler neck or darker depending on how the painter chose to address the problem. I wasn't happy with either solution. After a few tries, I came up with this:

1. After painting the basecoat (a very fine silver metallic), I masked off around the filler neck anything that would be painted from a spray gun above the tank.

2. I then used an airbrush to apply the candy to the side of the filler neck and the gas cap "hinges". You can see this at about 2:38 in the video.

3. After removing the masking, I painted the candy as normal.

4. The result was even candy on the entire tank!

This was the first time I have ever painted the stripe on the tank. I used an original early wrinkle tank to get all the measurements and, as you can see in the video, painted the black and then the gold. I'll never use a decal again. The result is so nice and more accurate to my original tanks.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

fire ball bike

• View Profile
all I can say is that's a mighty fine bunch of work on two really nice bikes about as perfect as you can get

acruz

• View Profile
Bravo Sam! Bravo!  Great job on the bike and video.  I'll see you at the Quail motorcycle gathering.  Good Luck this weekend.

markb

• View Profile
Sam, I watched your video again and I gotta tell you again how amazing it is. At first glance 487 hours seemed like a lot but having been there myself and not being nearly as efficient as you are I probably have two or three times that in #97. :o That's why I deliberately don't keep track of my hours. I don't think I want to know.  ::) What an inspiration for all of us to see how things are done right. I can't wait to see what you do for the website and future projects.
Mark B

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fire Ball Bike, thanks! But I certainly can't claim they are perfect...but I am getting better at this  :)

acruz, see you at the Quail!

Markb, I'll bet #97 is way beyond 487 hours! I've seen your bike in person and it is on par with the very best restorations I have ever seen. World-class. Seriously!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

kmb69

• View Profile

markb

• View Profile
Markb, I'll bet #97 is way beyond 487 hours! I've seen your bike in person and it is on par with the very best restorations I have ever seen. World-class. Seriously!
I've had #97 for nine years, two winters is L.A. So seven (long Minnesota) winters that I've worked on it, don't do much in the summer. So six months times 7 years, 42 months. Average maybe 20 hours a month (5 hour per week) adds up to over 800 hours for a wild-ass guess. Whew! I have to say I have enjoyed it. Thanks for huge compliment.
Mark B