Honda CB750 Sandcast

Candy Blue/Green Shade Differences

Joe K · 7 · 1120

Joe K

• View Profile
Hi,

I have a blue/green sandcast that was painted a few years ago.  The shade seems lighter than the original factory Honda blue/green.  I am aware that the sun and/or shade can make a difference.  I looked at photos on Yahoo images and can almost tell immediately a newer lighter color than an older darker original color shade.  Even Vic World's Honda Museum bike looks lighter than original.  Let me know your thoughts and please upload photos of original vs. new for comparison.  I looked at Steve Swan's bike on the Gallery page and his original bike looks darker than the newer painted one further down the page.

I uploaded some photos of my bike inside and outside and one I found on the internet that looks to me original Honda.

Either way I wish mine was darker.

Thank you,
Joe K.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:31:06 pm by Joe K »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Photo of 11970 Original Paint
Early Sandcast original paint
Sandcast 248 Not sure about all the paint
Sandcast 397 I believe original paint
Yabba Dabba KP

Joe K

• View Profile
Those are really nice colors KP.  I can tell they all have a darker shade than mine.

Joe K.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The camera makes a difference to the final outcome of the photo but I think most cameras nowadays do get it right. Photos 1 and 3 were taken with a high end Canon and photo 2 was taken with an iPhone 7. I think they're close
Yabba Dabba KP

Joe K

• View Profile
I agree with you, KP that modern cameras/phones get it close to correct.

Joe K.

DW69K0

• View Profile
Here is my personal opinion. I think the Candy Blue Green paint starts out a lighter shade and fades darker with age.
See attached photo. The photo is from an original Sandcast oil tank cover.

The Candy Ruby Red does the opposite and fade out to a lighter color, eventually turning a yellow.beige color.

The original CBG paint (50 years) turns darker from my experience.

Duane

Joe K

• View Profile
Hi Duane,

Thank is good information and sending the photo that shows the very original under the emblem.  I don't think mine came out looking like that at all.  Would be good for the painter to know what they are doing and have a color sample of the OEM just like the sample you provided.

Joe K.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:51:15 am by Joe K »