Honda CB750 Sandcast

Non-wrinkle tank date of manufacturing identification number

PK · 7 · 924

PK

• View Profile
Attached is a picture of the manufacturing code or date from the seat end of the non- wrinkle fuel tank from my CB750 K0 diecast, frame VIN #10175xx, manufactured 12/69. I’m trying to determine whether this was the original tank, or a replacement.  I have owned since summer 1974 and I never replaced it, although I had it painted a couple times and was planning to get it painted back to the candy blue green original color. It is unknown to me if the previous owner(s) had ever replaced it.

The bike has been dormant under tarps for 25+ years, but I am undertaking a restoration as a hobby in my spare time. Should a K0 of this VIN range, have had a wrinkle tank originally? Can anyone decode what I believe is the date of manufacture? Thanks all!

PK

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1015286 has its original wrinkle tank still fitted. Original UK bike, so no VIN plate with date info.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

fire ball bike

• View Profile
I have bike 1021198 my dad sold new I bought it from the original owner it is a  gold bike it has a wrinkle tank

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My understanding has always been that K0 bikes to around 20000 had wrinkle tanks and socket (recessed) keys. I stress the word understanding and this is based on anecdotal evidence from members over the years. I seem to recall some socket keys and wrinkle tanks going to the 22xxx area but unless I search every post on the site, this is but a memory. All 1969 production bikes should have these features including double cut front guard/fender. Somewhere in the mid teens the double cut had a speedo cable guide added. I’m not sure when the double cut was dropped but seems to me around the end of 1969
Of course nothing is set in concrete and I could be out in my numbers.
As for the stamping referred to in the initial thread, this doesn’t seem to be original Honda stamping. I believe the stamping were on the under side of the back bracket and a little different in font and layout.
Yabba Dabba KP

PK

• View Profile
Thanks all for your input! My tank does not have any stamped numbers on the bottom that I could see, I attached a picture of the tank bottom, maybe someone will recognize the vintage. Could be the original owner replaced the wrinkle tank and single or double cut front fender during his ownership from early 1970 to mid 74. I have owned since then and did not change them out, I think I have the fender (61100-300-040XW) that superceded the 61100-300-030XW. Cheers