Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member from Springfield

stsgro · 10 · 1099

stsgro

• View Profile
Hi All,

A couple years a go I bought a Sandcast with a Diecast parts bike form the widow of a friend. He owned the bike since 1991 and had begun the restoration before he passed. His wife entrusted me, and my money, to finish it. And I did with some help. It turned out great and my buddy's family is impressed and happy to see it finished.

There are a couple of items that are not 'correct' that I would like to fix to get it as close as I can to 'right'. Not sure If this is the place for that thread though?

But either way I have one very nice Sandcast and an almost complete Diecast that I would like to make a rider.

As an outside coming into this group I am very impressed by the knowledge that is shared here. Thank You! I have spent a lot of time reading up on Sandcasts here.

Steven Sgro

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome Steven!

Nice looking bikes you have there!

Happy to give you my thoughts. Can you post some more pics of the bike?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

stsgro

• View Profile
Thanks Sam, I didn’t realize i don’t have many finished project pictures. I’ll post some tonight, weather permitting.

Steven

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
From what I can see of the Candy Blue-Green bike you have there, I see a few things that look wrong to me (please know that you did a fantastic job...only giving you my thoughts so we can all get better at this!):

1. The black paint on the alternator cover should only be "behind" the honda logo. Not in the circle or the "made in japan" areas.
2. The engine covers appear over-polished to me. Honda didn't get them to look like chrome. They were polished quickly and then covered in a clear enamel. This made them a bit duller than what you have.
3. Looks like you are missing the recessed ignition switch.
4. Looks like you have the short choke arm lever. It should be longer.

Again, beautiful machine you have there!!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

stsgro

• View Profile
Thanks! That is the help I am looking for. Not going to hurt my feelings, I'm a big boy. lol

I attached pics of what I think might be not correct.

I know the key is from a later bike.

The master cylinder is one with no line inside but I think the cap should be blank?

Two logos and a patent # on the mirrors

Are the exhaust heat shields painted or plated? I have a pair in primer

Original chain guard could use some help

stsgro

• View Profile
More. Thanks

STS

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the pics. A great job from every angle! A few more things noticed:

1. The heat shields should be a rough chrome, not a shiny chrome. The shiny chrome heat shields started later.
2. From what I can see, it looks like the castings on the instruments are diecast...they should be sandcast. I could be interpretting the photo incorrectly.
3. Looks like you have HM300 exhausts on there. They should be the "no number" exhausts.
4. The lock washer plates are missing on the rear sprocket nuts.
5. Looks like you have a 71 or later master brake cylinder on there. The cap should have no printing, there should be no rubber cover on the top banjo bolt and the top brake line should have a straight connector (not a bent one).
6. The right control appears to have a red square painted on the top. That should not be there.
7. The four washers holding the battery cage in place should be yellow zinc.
8. Three washers are missing on the front right motor mount bolts.
9. I am not sure from the photos, but you might have the later carb boots (between the carbs are airbox). The way to know is that there should not be a ridge between the carb band and the carb itself.

These are mostly very nit-picky things. The bike is an excellent example. Get a recessed ignition on there and you will have the major stuff covered.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

stsgro

• View Profile
Thanks again Sam.

I just saw the links in your sig, I really like your work. I was just thinking the other day that I should buy your poster, I'm doing it now. You do very professional work, impressive.

STS

stsgro

• View Profile
I have a lot of parts left over. I think it would be great to trade them/some for a recessed ignition.

I hope we didn't restore the wrong gauges.

STS

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for your kind words. There's an enormous amount of talent in this community. I learn something everyday!

Looks like you do indeed have the later carb boots on there. Here are what the correct boots should look like:

https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_182_82&products_id=138

From what I can see, it looks like the restored instruments are diecast and the unrestored instruments are sandcast. Others should chime in.

Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608