Honda CB750 Sandcast

Brake Pressure Switch

kp · 6 · 824

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I had a black brake pressure switch re-zinc plated and had it finished in gold bright. Now I'm thinking it should be plain blue zinc finish but I'm now not sure. My 2 early framed bikes have plain blue finish as far as I can tell but on another splitter I have a gold finished black unit. Now I know that age can dull the gold finish so much so it can be difficult to distinguish. I'm fairly sure the sandcasts had the plain blue zinc finish but need some help with this. Any suggestions, opinions or evidence (photos) would be appreciated.
Thanks KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The original brake switches on #410 and #538 were both the "clear" zinc which has a slight blue tint. No sign of yellow. I suspect they didnt have yellow as the other parts on the bikes that had yellow zinc still had a bit visible prior to restoration.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My recollection was that I had only ever noticed the black switches to have "clear" bright zinc, and the red switches to have the yellow passivate finish.
So, I just looked at my NOS switches which appear to confirm the red switches to have a distinct yellow/gold appearance to the zinc.
However, the one NOS black switch I have has a definite light yellow tint to it, though much less so than the NOS red switch. This switch is of course in very old packaging and has been stored hidden away in a box for the last 25 years that I know of. Suggests to me that black finish switches may not all of been clear (ie bright silver) zinc. Or maybe the originals I have that appear to be just clear zinc were originally slightly yellow in appearance and have age faded. Personally I think I would choose to go for clear zinc rather than yellow if I were to restore an old switch.
Anyone got any good detail pictures of a VW restoration to check out?

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Guys. I certainly have one of those black switches in Gold Bright however, it's not on a bike but I suspect they were, maybe ,a bit of each color. I did look at the bike restorations and also Vic's but no good photos of that switch. I had mine stripped and redone in blue zinc plate
Yabba Dabba KP

DW69K0

• View Profile
Hi KP,
Attached is a picture of my unmolested Sandcast (you know which bike). If I understand your question correctly, the switch is definitely black with plain zinc. I also examined my other unmolested Sandcast and it is also black with plain zinc plating. (Can attach pics of other bike  if you would like to see more)
If you need more pictures just let me know.
Best,
Duane

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks all for the feedback fellas. I've had the switch replaced in blue zinc. :)
Yabba Dabba KP