Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast 1000157/E1000199 fix or sale?

Kjclear30

• View Profile
Hello I have a slightly raked 69 CB750 (sandcast) 1000157/E1000199, after much reaearch on this site I can determine it has many period correct parts however the frame is modified forks, headlight and handlebars have been changed among other updates on this old school chopper. I’m looking for advice from the experts here if the bike is worth restoring due to the low production # or should i part it out and offer some of these rare parts for sale.  There’s alot more info i need to share but for now just curious which direction i should go.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:44:15 am by Kjclear30 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi KJClear30!

Congrats on a low number find!

Looking over your pics, there would be a lot to find to make the bike whole again. Front fender, carbs, rear rim, seat, side covers, instruments, bars and more appear to be incorrect. I suspect there is more that is incorrect, but I would need more photos.

Many of us here have restored bikes in far worse condition, so it can certainly be done. My question is what is your end goal? Do you want to own a restored sandcast or get maximum value out of the bike?

Restoring this bike to correct original condition will take a lot of time to find the right parts and, of course, a lot of effort to restore the bike well. I would guess at least $25,000 if done right. A low three digit bike expertly restored is probably worth around $35,000 or $40,000. Maybe more maybe less of course :)

If the goal is to own an early sandcast, then you are well on your way. Who cares about money in this scenario right?

I think the major challenge will be to track down the correct parts. Correct guages, double-cut front fender, rolled rim and other parts are tough to find. It will take time.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Kjclear30

• View Profile
Thanks Sam,  I have alot to consider but I appreciate your input.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Regardless of what you decide, the motorcycle has good value either as is or parted out. As Sam said it will be a challenge to find some of those missing items and they won't be cheap but you could get the machine back to a close to original example for modest expense. KP
Yabba Dabba KP