Honda CB750 Sandcast

Cable routing

BobAndren

• View Profile
Hi Folks,  While not as contentious as the upcoming elections, there are nonetheless differences of opinion as to proper cable routing.. As my sandcast was  pretty decrepit  when I got it and no doubt, cables had been replaced over its 50 year life, I would not trust that the routing of various cables was correct.  So let's start with the throttle cable.  I believe that it stays on the right side of the frame until passing underneath the tank (correct me at any time here).  Now, does it pass to the outside of the headlight mounting "ear" or the inside?  Or does it pass down the large "hole" in the top triple clamp?  If it passes down inside of the headlamp "ear", does it then go over and behind the horn bracket or ?  If it does, does it pass through the (sort of) triangular opening formed on the right side by the right frame downtube and the braces behind the steering head?  If the cable passes down through the hole in the top triple tree, where does it go next?  In either case we are now getting close to the junction "box" where one cable becomes four cables.  Does the junction box  (sort of, again) rest on the valve cover or are the cables routed slightly up through another triangular opening formed by the bracing pieces between the three frame tubes that head back toward the seat area? I 'd think that this would allow a gentler curve of the individual cables going to the carbs.   Now, for the clutch cable (certainly less complicated).  Where does the cable first pass after leaving the vicinity of the clutch lever - down through the aforementioned hole in the top triple clamp or between the triple clamp and the headlamp shell or ?  .  Then I have a couple of photos showing that it passes inside of the front (upper) engine mounting plate, coming down between the #1 and #2 exhaust pipe, then heading back to enter the area under the clutch cover.  Is that correct?  Are there any cable guides involved along the way.  I didn't see any.  Thanks again for your input.  Bob
Bob Andren

DW69K0

• View Profile
Bob,
Hope this photo helps, this is correct cable routing as seen from front of bike.
Best,
DW