Honda CB750 Sandcast

Ex Mecum & david silver bike at auctioners H&H in the UK.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Bit of sleuthing reveals that this Sandcast is the one I put DS onto and he bought at a bargain price at Mecum for his new at the time museum. I still can't understand why he sold this one before it ever got in his museum. OK he bought VIN 750 and it's an earlier model but this one was already museum quality ...it just needed the seat sorting out at the time. Interesting to see what it makes. He now has a Vic World restored one and the VIN 750 one was for sale at Unit 1 near to him, for some staggering amount, the last time a saw it.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/-1969-honda-cb750-sandcast/?lot=50155&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=482&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

DW69K0

• View Profile
Any idea why the rear sprocket was changed?
Was this to enhance performance?
Best,
DW

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Its had sidecovers and airbox repainted and maybe tank IMHO. The stripes look odd to me and no decal on the oil side sidecover. These don’t fall off and the airbox is cracked around the air intake rubbers This generally only happens when the rubbers are incorrectly removed as they are sealed with an adhesive when fitted. Mirrors aren’t original , rear wheel has what looks to be a rim lock fitted and yes, that rear sprocket and seat
Otherwise looks to be a real nice Sandcast . I also don’t understand why it’s not in the museum as it is just what you would want. Another case of low frame number chasing
I have to say I’d have nice unrestored original in my museum over any restored example but bling is what pulls the ooo’s and arrrr’s
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
This is the one David Silver initially bought for his museum (after the Mecum bike). I think he bought it off Craigslist but I much preferred the Mecum bike for it's originality, other than the novelty value of VIN 750 and of coure a 3 digit VIN. The last time I saw it in his museum it still had the generator cover stamped SOHC !

He replaced VIN750 in his museum  with a Vic Word restoration, which he bought at auction in the UK.

I think the place very near to him geographically and selling VIN 750 (UNIT 1 Motorcycles)   in the UK,  has close ties with DS, as a few of his imported bikes and the odd ex-museum bikes seem to end up there for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283801601601

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Lots of money for that bike Ash. Are there any more photos around. I went to the YouTube video thinking there would be more on this bike but instead the seller is using Sam”s video which is odd as Sam’s video isn’t 750?
Yabba Dabba KP

DW69K0

• View Profile
Sandcast 750 new owner will need to correct a few items, rear shocks, front fender stay bolts, oil lines & carb clamps. Will make someone a great bike. Good luck to DS as the VIN is COOL.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
That´s indeed a cool Number, but 44k GBP ?
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)