Honda CB750 Sandcast

Cheap Sandcast

kp · 10 · 1087

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you picked this medium number up for a bit less you'd be doing OK. Doesn't need much. Has socket key, instruments, left horn, round rear etc etc. Needs correct front mudguard, side covers, seat, mirrors and you'd have a nice close to original original rider. Can't say about the tank.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Honda-CB/284103285705?hash=item4225e01bc9:g:fVgAAOSwOkRfsrpi
Yabba Dabba KP

Prospect

• View Profile
That pain job screams amateur. 
Vin 256/106

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That bike is a mess. I would stay away from it personally unless it went under $10k. Controls, bars and all the stuff KP mentioned are wrong with it. The tank is a wrinkle tank from what I have been shown (pic forwarded to me from someone considering it). I wonder what they were thinking with the oil tank cover. Not only is it the wrong version, but they clearly widened it to fit over the tank. Thats a bit of work to still be incorrect!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Prospect

• View Profile
The "piece de resistance" is the side cover emblems positioned in the wrong direction.  Missing D washer on the right side unicorn triple tree always gets me fuming. 
Vin 256/106

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You fellas in the US are spoilt. I'll have to disagree with the under $10k price. Most of the incorrect-ness with this machine is cosmetic cept for the double-cut. That bike could easily be parted out for $20k and if it was offered to me at $15k I'd buy it, put $5k worth of Yamiya stuff on it and have a very presentable rider. Guys, it's got early HM300 no indent exhausts on it
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kp, my guess is the seller will take $15k for it.

And you are right. I am spoiled! :)
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Kevin M

• View Profile
As you all have noticed, this bike has a lot of incorrect parts and it screams amateur restoration by someone who obviously doesn't know what they are doing.  And that's precisely why I bought it.  It was originally posted on eBay on mid November with a starting bid of $25K (see my earlier post on November 18).  When there were no bids, for obvious reasons, the seller relisted the bike for $18,750 or best offer.  I got it for $16,595.  In retrospect, I think Sam is right.  The seller probably would have sold it for $15K. But maybe not. I don't know what he paid for it, but he did spend some money buying real Honda parts like the front fender and switch that I can use on a K1 that I have. 

Here's the story...  The bike was used as a daily commuter between Hollywood and Burbank for about 14 years, which produced the high mileage. In 1983 the owner blew out a tire and had a come-to-Jesus-moment, after which the bike was parked.  It was last registered in 1989 and has been sitting in his garage for the last 31 years. He then sold it to a friend of one his employees - a young guy in his mid twenties who is into model trains.  He is quite mechanically adept but not a motorcycle guy and he knows very little about sandcasts. Many of the parts that he described to me as "original" were on the bike when he got it, so he thought they were original.  But most of these parts had been replaced decades earlier by the original owner.  Keep in mind, at the time, the original owner didn't realize that the bike was destined to become a collector.  To him, it was just his daily rider, so he probably thought it was cool to replace the side covers and seat with those from a later model. 

So the plan is to restore the bike properly, but using lots of Yamiya parts.  The one item that frustrates me is the double-cut front fender. The photo below shows how the original owner cut it down to be cool and that's going to be expensive to replace. The second photo is also rather interesting.  I couldn't figure out why the top edge of the oil tank side cover was so wide.  I had never seen anything like it. When I took it off, the third photo shows that someone had done some serious fiberglass modification.  Are the oil tanks that different?  Apparently so...

Having said all of that, I liked the bike because it's a California bike with very little rust which makes the whole restoration much easier.  As kp notes, all I really have to do is replace the side covers, seat, front fender and tires; and repaint or replace the tank (new winkle from David Silvers), airbox, fork ears and headlight case. With that and a few other smaller items, I should have a good rider.  The seller rebuilt the carbs and the front brake and he did a decent job.  Despite all of the incorrect parts and paint, the bike actually runs quite well.  As some stage down the line, I will probably want to rebuild the engine - but for now, it's all good.
2293/E2456
2565/E2734

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Congrats on your new bike Kevin. Im looking forward to seeing this bike back in original form!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't sell the bike too short It's a good basis for getting right IMHO and as I said before, mainly cosmetic replacements. I can tell you 90% of the original seats have been replaced, rebuilt or re-foamed. Very few can claim to be original as the red block foam deteriorates from age not the environment, so replacement of a red foam block seat on a sandcast is a given. Genuine NOS side covers can still be found or very good originals are still to be had so rather than do the Yamiya shop sale if you can find originals and work from there. There is one single thing I learn't about buying NOS painted parts is very few are color correct when put together. My painter said to me it is better to paint all the parts in one hit than trying to match it all
Yes the double cut is not an easy item but a fellow in the UK bought a raw (unfinished) double cut from Vietnam, had it chromed and finished by his local artisans and said it came out very well. Another easy short term solution is to cut down a later single cut. It's been done many times and despite what some might say solves the issue nicely IMHO. Patience and being prepared to pay the price will yield a dividend in the medium term
I wasn't such a Yamiya fan a few years back but I now believe he is far cheaper and has better quality items than most other resellers.
Finally, I think you've done well with your purchase and look forward to hearing how you progress Later KP
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile