Honda CB750 Sandcast

More on That No So Good and Expensive Sandcast

kp · 3 · 559

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's the link
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10218270700667766&set=pcb.3572741779473894
Well, better photos of this machine have now been posted.
Frame 775 Engine 794
Not a single or double digit bike, not even an early to middling 3 digit bike. We have a latish 3 digit bike and the asking price is US$50,000
You would think, for the price, this must be a very original and/or special bike. Alas; it is neither. In fact it is a pretty poor example of what the owner likes to describe as a hmmm?
Let me say this bike is well off in the high end sandcast stakes and IMHO is around $20k to $25K overpriced. The red bike currently on offer on eBay is a way better example and worth more.
So you have a look and you will find lots wrong with this machine and here are a few very important, to a 3 digit sandcast, non-original items. There will be some I've missed, but the lack of good photos and lack of photos of key areas are missing. I want to see photos of the bike, not the local fishing precinct.
Oil Hoses are a fail
Brake Pedal is off a later model K0/K1 (not able to really confirm correct from photos)
Engine Oil Gallery Plug is a fail
Clutch Cable is a fail
Exhaust is incorrect for any sandcast - fail
Alternator Cover is a fail
Oil Filter Bolt @17mm is a fail
Seat is a fail
Tank Fuel Cap Lock = fail
Fuel Tank Trim is a definite fail
Battery Box Washers is a fail (generally under seat is a fail)
What's with the tool tray
Air Box Rubbers is a fail
Tacho Cable is a fake
Speedo Cable is a fail
Indicator lenses = fail
Spokes and Nipples on front and rear are "big fails"
Is the rear rim a rolled rear rim???
Welded front fender stay Methinks a NOS replacement isn't hard to find but for $50k big ones, welding (unchromed at that) will do
Rubber boot on Master Cylinder is "Oh So Correct" - Nar ..... a fail
Check out the chain adjuster bolts. Honda special order ones no doubt
Rear Sprocket is a fail
Wiring is a mess
Front Disc is a mess
Some bolts are wrong
I'm getting a headache
Yabba Dabba KP

acruz

• View Profile
KP, you've gotta great eye for picking these misses!  For the price of $50,000, the sandcast would probably have to be an all original 2 number sandcast with 10 miles on the clock.  That being said, has there been any 3 number sandcasts that sold for this amount?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Arnold, I can't recall any 3 digit bikes in that league, but I'm thinking Vic's low numbered restorations are around those $$$. The lower the frame number, generally the price rises but only for correct restored or original unmolested bikes. Europe and Japan seem to command a higher prices than the US/Canada but again, people will pay for good quality. Alas that poor fellas machine doesn't even get into the quarter finals  :'(
KP
PS: That bike of Ulrich Worz's which sold recently was a very very nice machine and priced well. That's the sort of bike a collector looks for.
Yabba Dabba KP